Chapter 12: The Message

I was running as fast as I could.

There was a loud noise behind me, but I didn't look back. I heard a scream, but I didn't see anyone else around. I was forced to ignore it as I continued to run through the forest.

I didn't know where I was, and I didn't know how I got there. I just knew that I had to keep running. If I stopped, I was going to die.

I heard a voice calling my name. I knew the voice. It was Lance.

I quickly glanced behind me and saw that Lance was the one following me.

I stopped running, and Lance transformed into a ginormous beast.

I started running again as fast as I could, but there was a point where I couldn't feel my legs. I fell to my knees, and I was unable to move.

I looked and saw a shadow in front of me. My ears were filled with it's chilling laughter before it flew out of my sight.

I found myself screaming Aidan's name. Lance was dangerous, but Aidan was safe. I kept screaming until another shadow flew by me. It stopped, and I realized that it was Aidan. Then another came, and I realized that it was Naida. Suddenly my entire group friends and family were flying toward me as shadows, and I couldn't move away from them.

They covered me, and I couldn't run away as they turned me into a shadow too.

******************

I immediately sat up from my bed with a scream. Naida was already at my bedside, and Dylan was in the doorway.

I was perspiring, and my skin felt like it was burning. I felt like I was in the Fire domain again. I was having a hard time breathing, and my throat felt dry and scratchy.

My parents came rushing in the room, and my aunt and uncle followed close behind.

"Nixie, it was just a dream. Just breathe," Naida told me softly.

I tried slowing down my breathing, but I felt almost like I was suffocating from the heat. I threw my blankets off of me.

She looked worried, and I quietly choked out, "Water..."

She heard me, and she turned to Dylan, "Hurry and get Nixie some water."

Dylan quickly ran past our parents to go find water.

"Naida, what happened? All we heard was screaming," my mother asked her worriedly.

Naida, without looking away from me, responded, "She's been having nightmares. I haven't told you about it because she didn't want me to. This has been the worst by far."

My mother frowned, "Oh Nixie, you should have told me about this when it started."

I was starting to catch my breath when King Bryant came into the room. He asked my mother what happened, and she explained.

"A guard came to get me. I didn't hear her. I don't think her screams woke anyone else up. Should we take her to the infirmary?" He asked my parents.

"I think she'll be fine. Dylan went to get her water," my father explained.

I rubbed the sweat off of my forehead with the back of my hand, and I slowly sat up from my bed. Dylan came and gave me a glass of water. I smiled in thanks as I quickly drank it all.