Chapter 1

Oh no Oh no Oh no, I thought I fumbled with the keys to the lit-up house. Music was blaring from inside and it only seemed to grow louder as I opened the door of my house. Kiki was on the dining table, a red cup in one hand and her other hand thrusted in the air as liquid splashed around onto the floor and the people around her. She wore a simple pink shirt and light blue denim pants that seemed to match her eyes perfectly.
I pushed past the multiple drunk and high people in the house dancing to the music and stood below Kiki. "KIKI!" I shouted over the music. She continued to dance on the table and liquid splashed down on me. She finally glanced down and grinned when she spotted me. I glared at her as she got down off the table and dragged me outside. I was still holding my bright blue leather bag and it ached my shoulders but that was the least of my concerns. Kiki shut the old, wooden door behind her and her poorly-dyed blonde hair flicked around her head.

"Kik-"I started but I was immediately cut off by Kiki.

"Wait, Vivi! Before you get mad!" She said, grabbing my arm tightly. "I thought that for once, you could use a birthday party!" She gave a small smile. I shook my head. "I've already had birthday parties" I stated.

She gave me a look that said, 'are you serious?'. "A ... proper party" she said, tugging me towards the house. I shook my head again as I opened my mouth to protest that I have had proper birthday parties. Once again she cut me off. "One with actual hot people and alcohol". I sighed. Stubborn bitch. Luckily, this stubborn bitch was my sister. Sometimes I wonder how er are related. She's more the party kind off person and I much prefer the quiet. She let go and put her hands on her hips. "What are you going to do? Throw everyone out? Go ahead; everyone at the party is too wasted to listen to you! And unless you plan on calling the cops, no-one is going anywhere anytime soon" I sighed. Kiki was sort of right. Kiki was using her experience with me to her advantage. She knew I wouldn't call the cops because I generally hated drama. She smiled and I followed her inside. She called back to me. "Loosen up a little; you might find something you like" she winked at me. I rolled my eyes. I headed into the party and glanced around. A small band was playing in the dining room which made me question how Kiki afforded this. We only lived in a small two story house with our Mom. Mom was out of town for the week for her job as a flight attendant. She claimed that it was the only job that she could get but Kiki and I weren't as stupid as we looked.

A cold tingling feeling crossed my back and I whipped around to find myself face to face with a jet black-haired boy. My mouth fell bitter. Jake Miles. My ex. "H-h-h-h-e-e-y-y-y, K-a-a-r-a" he slurred, stumbling around. I crossed my arms. "I'm Nova." He shook his head and raised a finger at me. "Y-o-o-u-u-r-r K-a-r-r-a" he said. He tumbled forward and I sidestepped, resulting in him banging into the wall. The memory of our sour breakup rested on the edge of my mind. I remember his direct words; "You have trust issues!". In the end, I was right to have trust issues. After all, I walked in on him with an asian girl on-top of him. The moment I saw him, I left. He followed me out and twisted the entire thing on me.

"If you had been more trusting on me, we would've had a better relationship!" he shouted, leaning against the doorframe. "Me?!" I shouted back. "You're just an un-trustworthy person!"I clenched my jaw and pounded through the front door. The naked Asian girl walked in after her. It revolted me that she didn't bother to put any clothes on, or even attempt to cover herself. I directed my eyes away from the naked girl and focused on my car, situated in the driveway. "Nova! Come on!" I pushed back tears and turned to face him. "No, you come on! Are you ever going to grow up and settle down?" He was stumped. I doubt that thought never crossed his mind. He regained his confidence and glared at me. I climbed in the car and in the rear mirror, I watched him slam the door shut. Retarded duck.

"Are you Vivian?" a voice asked from behind me. I turned around and faced a guy and to be flat, he was hot. Blond hair sprouted from his head and warm brown eyes reached into mine. I nodded. He smiled and pushed his hand out. "I'm Noah". I smiled gently and grasped his hand. "I'm Vivian" I said, before mentally face palming. He laughed. My cheeks flushed red.

"Can I get you a drink?" I smiled and nodded. He leaded me over to the drinks and handed me a cup. I sipped at the drink as he talked. "I'm a mechanic. How about you?" "Coffee shop" I replied. It was a typical job for a 17 year old girl, especially one who didn't have much time on her hands. "School?" he questioned. I nodded. It was my last year of school before I graduated and had to make a life for myself.  Not something I was looking forward to.

"Do you want to play a game?". I craned my head to look at him. I raised an eyebrow. "What type of game?" I asked, placing my free hand on my hip. "20 questions?" The colour drained from my face. I could see a few people had turned to watch us. I eyed him before replaying his question in my head. Yes. No. Yes. No. My past was not something I wanted to retell. I didn't even want to live a me. I nodded slowly, biting my lip to stop myself from chickening out.

"Question one." He paused and thought about it. "What is a cause that is worth dedicating your life to?"

I laughed. Noah frowned. "What?"

"That's the first question you could come up with?" He tilted his head in confusion. "You couldn't ask me, what was my favourite colour or my middle name?" He shrugged. I smiled and looked to my feet.

"Love" was all that I could say. I believed that love was one of the most powerful forces on earth, for better or for worse. It could break or make people. It could fill your heart with joy and happiness. Tranquility yet danger. In contrast, it could break a heart, leaving someone shattered. That was the love that I knew.

Noah nodded, pondering another question. "What's your favourite colour?"

I laughed again. "Green". Noah studied me. I studied him in return. The brown freckles that spotted his face only made him; entirely hotter. That and his thin tank top which displayed the muscles, rippled up his arms. It was only when Kiki shouted out from behind me that I noticed how close we had gotten. I pulled back and my face flushed red as a wide grin spread across Noah's face. I turned to face Kiki who had stood up, once again on a table with a microphone in her hand. My eyes widened as I watched her stumble around, clearly half-drunk. Oh shit, I thought, running over to where Kiki was standing. "I would like to say a big happy birthday to my little sister, Vivi!" "Kiki get down!" I hissed, under my breath. Before I could stop it, almost everyone in the house begun to clapping, laughing and shouting. It wasn't until a few seconds that I realised they were clapping at me. No, the were clapping for me. Suddenly, I was yanked back by my arm. Alongside me, Noah was being yanked along. I turned my head to face the back of Kiki's head. How the fuck did she get down so quick?, I thought. "Where are we going?!" I demanded. I could feel her smile. "We're going-" I groaned. "Clubbing!"