Chapter Twenty-Nine

"Just give me a chance, one more chance to prove to you that everything can be like how it used to be." Maxwell continues to speak to me in between his tears. His arms become even more tighter around my waist as his body trembles. My heart aches for him as I feel his pain completely surrounding me.

I make sure to find the right words before I answer him. "Things can't be like how they used to once be, Maxwell." I tell him in the most soft and calm voice that I can master.

"No, no, I won't accept it. I won't take no as an answer!" Maxwell sits up and roughly cups my face in between his hands. Our eyes meet and for the first time, I realize that I'm also crying right in front of him. He wipes my tears away with his thumb as a kind soft smile slowly appears on his lips.

"I'll do anything for you, Athalia. I'll even quit my job to spend every single minute with you if that is what you want. I promise to stop fooling around, I promise to make my whole existence revolve only around you."

My eyes widen as I hear his words. The look in his eyes tells me that he isn't lying about a thing. He's being completely honest about everything. "I don't want you to do that." I tell him.

It's so tempting to say yes, that I want all of him to myself completely. That's all I ever wanted but I can't do that to him, I can't be selfish to him.

"I know you probably won't say yes, but just give us another chance to work things out. I love you, and I love Elian as if he were my own." He says as if knowing exactly what I'm thinking.

The tears roll down my cheeks as I close my eyes. I take a deep breath and out of no where I feel his soft lips against mine. The kiss is soft, it's perfect just like our very first kiss.

I keep my eyes close as I let myself be controlled by him. The kiss deepens to the point that my arms are resting on his shoulders. Without any warning Maxwell pulls himself away.

I open my eyes to find him staring right at me with a small smile on his lips. "Athalia, stay with me." I find myself nodding my head without having to say a word.

Maxwell stands up and pulls me along with him. His hand tightly holding mine as we quickly go up the stairs to the room that once used to be ours. Maxwell loudly opens the door to the bedroom, he turns towards me and quickly pulls me against him.

Our lips meet again and this time it's for the whole night.

*

"Was this a goodbye or a new beginning?" I stay quiet as I rest my head against Maxwells chest. I hear his soft breathing as he suddenly asked me a question.

The room is now dark and the only light is the one coming from the moon outside the window.

"Let's go somewhere." I gaze up at him to see that his eyes are closed as he speaks to me. "Let's take a long vacation somewhere. We can go anywhere you want, I'll take you anywhere around the world." I stay quiet and don't answer him.

All I ever wanted from the start was to have Maxwell in my arms just like right now. Us, laying on the bed and having a small talk. "I've always wanted to go to Paris." I answer him.

"You promised me once to take me there but the time was never right." Maxwell stays quiet for a few seconds before he speaks again.

"I'll take you, lets go tomorrow. Let's take Elian, I'm sure he'll love it there." I sit up and look down at him with a smile on my lips. Hearing him talk like this moves all sorts of feelings inside of me.

"Can we really go tomorrow?" Maxwell doesn't answer, instead he nods his head as I see him open his eyes. A bright smile appears on his lips. "I'll do anything for you Athalia, I'll take you anywhere you want."

I don't say a word as my mind wonders off to Aeneas. I'm not sure how I feel about him at the moment. But I do know that my relationship with him would have never of worked out from the start.

I'm married and so is he. He lied to me from the very start about not being married. If he would have been honest, then maybe my relationship with him would have been completely different. But then again, what if Maxwell only stays like this for a few days or months being going back to his old self?

What if he has only changed for the time being. "Maxwell?" I call out to him. He hums back to tell me that he's listening. "Can we really continue to live like this forever?" I ask him.

He stays quiet for a few seconds before he sits up by me. He takes both my hands in his. "Athalia, I know things were difficult between us and I know I haven't been a good husband but, I also didn't know how to handle my feelings, my sadness for our first son." He tells me.

"I want us to be together, I asked you to be my wife because I plan to be with you forever." He whispers.

I close my eyes for a moment as I hear my heartbeat. I love Maxwell, always have and always will.