Chapter Eighteen

"She's divorcing you?" I whisper, in surprise.

Aeneas sighs and looks at me. He slowly nods his head at me. "Yeah, she is." He says, letting his gaze fall to the ground.

We fall into a silence again. "Whatever her reason for divorcing me, it must be a pretty damn good reason." Aeneas stands from the sofa.

I can see that he's hurt from what's going on in his marriage. And for some reason, it hurts me to see him hurting like this.

I stay in my spot as he walks towards the large window. His eyes sparkle as he looks down at the beautiful view.

"I'm not upset in case you're wondering. It just came to a surprise to me. After you left, I told myself that I would try to fix my marriage with her." He suddenly starts to speak again.

"You probably won't believe me, but I believe that she's doing it because she knows that my heart doesn't belong beside her."

Aeneas turns to face me. "I haven't forgotten about you, Athalia." Aeneas slowly walks towards me. He stops once he's standing just a few inches away from me.

"I don't care if she divorces me, I don't care about her. All I want is for us to try again." The palm of his hand rest against my cheek.

"Stay with me, stay beside me." As Aeneas cups my face in between his hands, he slowly starts to lean in.

Out of no where I find myself taking a step back, out of his reach. What he's asking from me is a lot. I'm still married to Maxwell, and Aeneas is still married to Victoria.

No matter the situation we're in, the mistakes from our past can't be forgotten so easily.

"Why do you keep fighting it?" The look in his eyes is one filled with hurt and confusion.

"I-I don't know Aeneas. At the moment my mind is just set on getting my son back. I just need to focus on him and not on you or Maxwell." Aeneas keeps his eyes connected to mine.

He seems to be trying to understand the situation in which he's putting me in.

I watch as he forces a smile onto his lips, he nods and takes a step back.

"I think we should go to bed. You must be tired?" I nod my head. Aeneas then shows me to my room and wishes me a goodnight before going to his.

*

It's morning, I take a shower and get ready to go see Elian. I promised to go see him today.

I grab my things and make my way towards Aeneas room which is on the first floor. I stop once I'm standing in front of his door, I take a slow deep breath to calm myself down.

I raise my hand and knock on the door. After a minute I hear Aeneas tell me to come in. I open the door and quickly see him laying on his bed with his bare back towards me.

"I wanted to tell you that I'll be going out. I'll be back later." I tell him. Aeneas stays in the same position, he doesn't move as he speaks.

"

"If you're going to go see Elian take my car. I won't be going out today." Aeneas sits up, he grabs the keys from his nightstand and turns to face me.

He holds out his car keys for me to take. "Here." I hesitate for a minute before taking them. "Thank you." I tell him.

He nods in return and lays back down on his side. I close the door and make my way out of his apartment.

*

As I arrive at the mansion, the front door opens and Elian quickly comes running out with the maid following closely behind.

He smiles and comes towards me when he sees me getting out of the car. "Mommy, mommy!" He shouts excitedly.

I take him in my arms as he hangs on to me. "Are you going to take me out?" I smile and nod. "Yes, I am." I tell him.

We both go inside with the maid following behind. As I set Elian down on the floor, I ask the maid where Maxwell is.

"He's in his office Mrs. Arias." I nod and tell Elian that I'll be right back. He stays by the maid as I make my way towards Maxwells office.

I knock once before opening the door and stepping in. I find him sitting behind his desk, looking over some papers.

His eyes slowly drift away from his papers and towards me. He smirks before setting the papers down on his desk and relaxing back into his chair.

"I just came to tell you that I'll be taking Elian out. I'll be bringing him back later." I say, breaking the silence.

Maxwell raises an eyebrow before sighing to himself. "Where are you taking him?" He ask. "Out to eat and then probably to the store."

The look in his eyes seems to think on whether to let him go with me or not. He seems to be thinking hard about it. "Okay, just make sure that he's back before nine." He tells me.

I nod, not giving it to much thought. It's still early and I'll be able to have all day with Elian.

"By the way, I have filed the divorce papers. My lawyer will be contacting you soon." I keep my face blank as he tells me this.

I knew he was going to file for a divorce but I didn't think that he was going to do it this fast.

"Don't worry, I'll be giving you a reasonable amount of money." He says. "I mean, you did give me at least one healthy child after all." It takes me a few seconds to realize what he just said.

The smirk on his face makes everything worse. Why would he even say something like that? What is he trying to do?

"I don't understand why you would say that." I whisper. The smirk on his face disappears as in just realizing what he said.

"Athalia, I-" he stops speaking.

"You know, I don't know which one of you would have the advantage here, between you and Aeneas." I tell him.

"What do you mean?" Maxwell quickly stands from his chair. I let my eyes slowly fall to the floor.

"Just think about what you're really planning on doing, Maxwell."