Chapter Seven

"You do realize that we have to leave in five minutes" I hear Max complain behind me. I ignore him and continue to apply my makeup.

I don't want to rush myself only to end up making my face look like cake was just thrown on it. The last thing I need is for people to laugh at me... to laugh at Maxwell and I.

This is a party that's dedicated to the grand opening to one of Maxwells business investments. He's never been the kind to care about this kind of things and from my experience, Maxwell never goes to them.

But for some reason he has decided to go to this one and even though we aren't in the best of terms I still want to support him as his wife.

"Okay! There I'm done" I shout when I see him staring at me with annoyance through the reflection of my mirror. He smiles and quickly stands from the bed, "finally" he whispers.

The dark blue gown that Maxwell got me for tonight is just drop dead gorgeous. I have to say that I think he went all out for tonight. The dress perfectly shows all my curves which is why I'm in love with it. It's long but not too long that it drags behind me or on the floor. Thankful it doesn't get caught in my heels either.

I grab my purse and walk out the door as he holds it open for me. We both head downstairs and out the front door. Elian is in his room playing with his toys, we had already said good bye to him earlier but he didn't seem upset to see us leave for the night or even notice us.

Instead he started saying how he was going to stay up all night to play with his toys. "Athalia!" Max shouts my name, I look up to see him holding the door of his car open for me. "We're going to be late" he tells me.

For some reason a smile spreads on my lips when I see his desperation expression. "Why are you smiling?" I shake my head and get inside the car without answering his question.

Maxwell makes sure to close the door and go around the car, once he gets in he starts it and we start heading towards party.

"Okay, once we arrive I would like for you to stay by my side. I know Victoria is going to be there and most likely Aeneas too" he says. Hearing his name makes my heart skip a beat but I force myself to not think about him at the moment.

"May I know why you actually decided to come? I mean you never come to this kind of things, even if they're for you" Maxwell goes silent.

His eyes become hard, the car turns to make a right. "I have my own reasons to come to this one" he simply answers my question.

I'm still not sure why he would decide to come to this party when he knows that 'they' will more than likely be there tonight.

I sigh and take a deep breath to try to clear my head. As I relax back into my seat and look at my surroundings, I notice that we have finally arrived.

The parking lot of the hotel is filled with cars and people walking to get inside the place. The beautiful white lights that are outside the hotel is what catches my eyes more than anything. I've always had a weak spot for beautiful bright lights.

"Sir" I hear someone say. Maxwell gets out the car, I watch him give his car keys to the valet. He comes around to my side and opens the door for me. I take his hand, "did I tell you that you look amazing tonight?"

I smile and feel myself blush, "well, you were telling me to hurry up" I answer him. Maxwell laughs and we both head inside the building, arm in arm together.

The grand doors are pulled open and we are met with the beautiful smell of white roses. Maxwell instantly grabs a glass of champagne from a waiter that's passing by and hands it to me.

"Here" he says and sighs. "If you decide to drink more I won't stop you tonight" he whispers beside my ear.

Is this him trying to test me for some reason? Does he want to see if I'll actually drink more than I can handle? I take a small sip from the glass, my taste buds explode from the small taste of alcohol hidden behind the clear champagne.

"Mr. Arias!" We both stop walking and turn around to see a young man come running towards us. He's wearing a black suit, his blonde hair is nicely jailed back and his green eyes don't miss mine once they gaze on over to me.

He blushes and nervously looks down when he reaches us. "Is there a problem, Owen?" Max asked him.

Owen? I've never meet this man before. "No Sir" he answers Max and looks him up in the eyes. "I just wanted to know what I'm supposed to do now" I clear my throat to get Max to introduce me to the man in front of my eyes.

"Oh, excuse my rudeness. Athalia this is Owen, my personal assistant, hired him a few weeks ago but he's still training at the moment" I hold my hand out for Owen to take and he nervously grabs it. We shake hands but his innocent face reminds me of Elian.

"It's nice to meet you, Owen" I tell him. He smiles back, "we're going to go sit down, at the moment you can go sit down at your table" Maxwell tells him.

Owen nods but before he's able to leave I grab his arm and face Maxwell, "why doesn't he sit with us for the night?" Maxwell seems hesitant but nods his head. I smile at Owen who seems more than happy to be able to sit with us at the same table.

Maxwell walks on ahead to our table and we both follow him. "How old are you Owen?" Is the first question that pops out of my mouth. He seems young, maybe a bit too young to be an assistant.

"I'm 24" he answers my question. I nod, he isn't too young but maybe he's the kind of guy that has a baby face? We reach the table, Maxwell pulls out a chair for me to sit down beside him. he then sits beside me and Owen sits in front of us.

People start coming up to us to greet Maxwell and I. They say the usual, such as it's been a long time since they last saw me and things like that. The conversation dies down a little after Maxwell ends it with them.

"Are you married Owen?" I ask trying to get to know him a little better. Owen blushes which causes me to smile at his innocence. "He's 24, single, lives alone at the center of downtown, he's from Germany but carries no accent, he went to college for 2 years, after that transfer to a private university and he's 5' 10" Maxwell answers all my questions.

I roll my eyes and throw a glare at him which causes him to smirk back at me.

"Maxwell" we both look towards the voice, to my surprise that persons eyes are already on mine once mine meet his. His expression doesn't change, not even the slightest. "Didn't think I was going to be seeing you here tonight" he whispers.