03 | Music for the Soul

The profound smell of leather filled the air around me and I couldn't help but feel invigorated by it. Taking in the sleek interior of the Mercedes I was sitting in, I looked over at Matt driving so smoothly you'd think we were floating. I had been witnessing him driving this car around since he got it on his sixteenth birthday, watching a variety of different girls take their turn in the passenger seat. I never thought I would actually end up being one of those girls.

His fingers lightly tapped the steering wheel along to the soft music that was playing, keeping his eyes on the road but glancing over at me every few seconds. I knew I should say something. He had taken time out of his day to drive me to work because he wanted to hang out, and now I was just sitting there with a blank mind and dry mouth. I opted to stare out the window instead, observing the painted line on the gravel and following it closely as the car shifted alongside it with ease. I could sense the heaviness of Matt's gaze on the back of my head and turned to the front again, nervously fidgeting with the hem of my dress that had been riding up my legs.

"You're so quiet," He said, finally breaking the stillness. "What's going on in that pretty head of yours?"

I wondered if he was regretting this, he probably thought I would have been more talkative. Maybe it was because I had never been in such an expensive car before, Derek's car wasn't even this nice. I felt completely out of place with my ragged and weathered backpack between my ankles on the floor, I bet the other girls who sat here before me had Gucci handbags to match. My family wasn't poor or anything, more middle-class. Matt's family just happened to be strikingly, ludicrously, diamonds and caviar wealthy. I mean, what kind of seventeen-year-old had this kind of car anyway? Oh yeah, I guess Rachel did too. Although it still wasn't as nice, plus she was more of a Prada girl in terms of handbags.

"Um, just not really looking forward to work." I answered back, hoping to sound convincing.

Really, I was just trying to hold my own in that car and not throw up all my nerves. I needed to relax, how was I ever going to have a conversation with him if I tensed up every time we were alone?

"Your family owns an Italian restaurant, right? That you waitress at?" His eyes were still on the road, so he didn't see my brows crease in confusion.

"How did you know that?" I asked, facing him questioningly. He flushed a little and coughed. Was Matt Benson blushing?

"I um...may have ordered food so I could pick it up and see you there." He admitted with a hint of guilt in his voice, like I had caught him out.

I giggled at his confession and he breathed a sigh of relief.

"So how long have you been stalking me, huh?" I asked playfully as he tried and failed to gain back his smooth demeanor.

"I was trying to build up the nerve to talk to you," He turned his head to face me and I saw the faint redness still imprinted on his cheeks. Adorable. "But you were really busy, and I chickened out." He continued sheepishly.

"You know, you could have just spoken to me at school." I responded, attempting to overpower the massive smile that was trying to break out.

"I know, but that's not really the same. Even texting isn't as good as just hanging out with you."

I was glad he looked forward again, because the smile I had been holding back broke at full force.

"So, do you just waitress at the restaurant?" He asked.

"Basically, but sometimes I help out in the kitchen if it's really busy." As I spoke, I smoothed out my dress, but it wouldn't stop riding up my legs. I noticed him glancing down at my thighs with a hazy look across his face. An uncontrollable twinge of elation soared through my body just by the look he was giving me. He cleared his throat and tore his eyes away when he saw that I had spotted him staring.