THG: Plot Twist #17

Plot Twist #17

"Come on," the olive skinned woman with a braid says to her son. "I want to teach you how to hunt."

The boy, around the age of 13 looked at his mother confused. "Why aren't you teaching Willow this? You're the one that hunts, not dad, he's a baker and an artist."

Katniss smiled at him, "Rye, your sister is way more into art then you'll ever be, and she's already 17, it's a bit too late. I also wanted to teach at least one of my children how to hunt. Is like to think it would go on for generations. A side of art and baking, and a side of hunting." Katniss looked at her son, who had grown so much in the past year and was shaping out pretty well.

Rye Mellark had curly blond hair, which had darkened over the years. It was cut slightly closer to his head at the sides and on top you could see the slight curls of his hair that highlighted in all different shades during the Summer. The stormy grey eyes he had inherited from his mother caught peoples' attention everywhere he went and his defined jawline made Rye look older than he really was. The girls at his school loved him, but he envied his sister, Willow, for being a lot smarter than him.

Willow was pretty and her blue eyes were kind, with sparks of energy swirling through them all the time. She was smart, but it wasn't like everyone was crushing on her. She had had one serious boyfriend who she had broken up with the previous year because he had turned 18 and was leaving District 12. Her brown hair reminded others of her mother as well as her bright smile. However, her personality leaned more towards her father, Peeta, who was kind and lovely, but still passionate and determined.

Katniss grinned at him, thinking about going hunting with her own father, and with Gale. She sighed, wishing she could go hunting with Gale for one last time. "Let's keep going."

They walked until they got close to the spot where she and Gale used to hang, that's when they heard voices. To Katniss, the voice sounded familiar, to Rye, completely unknown. He knew his mother was having trouble though, so he stepped aside to give Katniss a better view.

They walked a bit further, just far enough to make out part of the faces that belonged to the familiar voice. It was a girl and her father. Katniss took another step closer to listen to what they were saying.

"Tell me about my mom," the girl, around the age of Rye, tells her father. "Please, you said these were the woods you met in. I want to know about her."

The man sighed and blinked the tears forming in his eyes away, "Okay, sit down. She was fierce, confident, she fought for what she believed in. Her hair was an olive skin, sort of like mine, and she had brown hair that she always wore in a braid. She went through a lot, she's . . . she's gone now," he explained to his daughter. "I used to sit here with her when we went our hunting, it was here, when we were alone, when I fell in love with her."

The girl hugged her father close and whispered, "What was her name?"

"Katniss," He responds, "Katniss Everdeen."

Katniss looked at him confused. She had no idea what was going on, and Rye was even more confused. Was he really related to that girl? Anger surging through him, he glared at his still confused mother, turned, and ran, the leaves making loud crinkling noises under his feet.

Gale's head snapped up, and he peered around looking for someone that could be watching. Finally his eyes stopped to rest on a different pair of eyes, grey and hopelessly lost in this situation.

Her name hadn't even rolled of his tongue before she had turned and sprinted away after her child.

"Was that her? Why did she run away?"

"No, no that was just an old friend."

***A/N***

My reads are decreasing at each plot twist and I'm rarely getting any comments or anything. It's great that I have like 4.8k reads, but I'm sort of running out of ideas and I'm not sure if I should continue. So, if any of you are reading this, please comment, tell me your opinion because I love getting comments and things like that. Also, this Plot Twist is dedicated to livgirl3 because this was her idea. Thanks a lot.