THG: Plot Twist #12

Plot Twist #12

The shrill voice of Effie Trinket filled the silence that hung in the air. The Quarter Quell had been announced just days before. The tributes were to be reaped from the existing pool of victors. Katniss's name had just been called. A three finger salute already in progress and the Mockingjay call being sung out everywhere. Now it was time for the boys.

"Now for the boys," Effie said in a tight and tear-filled voice. Her delicate hand reached into the overly large boy. The paper she picked was crisp and light. As she opened the small strip, a gasp escaped her throat. Tears fell down her face as she choked out the name. "Peeta Mellark."

And a shocked gasp escaped the crowd. It was settled then. Haymitch Abernathy and Katniss Everdeen were going into the 75th Annual Hunger Games with Peeta Mellark as their mentor.

___________________________

Haymitch called the shots this time. Of course he cooperated with Katniss on her choice of allies, but the rebellion needed the others such as Finnick Odair and Johanna Mason to fuel the fire. Peeta of course, did not mentor but gave Katniss every once of support he could give. He fell even more in love.

So, when the arena is destroyed, Peeta is saved. Haymitch however, was tortured.

___________________________

"Tell me," President Snow said as he lifted Haymitch Abernathy's chin to look him in the eye.

"Never," Haymitch growled.

A searing pain slapped his back and his body went slack. Haymitch drifted into unconsciousness.

He dreamed of his first games. The death of his mother. His girlfriend. The first time her resorted to drinking. Feeling relived but dying on the inside. His girlfriend whispering "Stay Alive." to him before the Games. The way Katniss looked just like her. With the classic seam look but the determined, fierce eyes. Eyes full of hope.

But a noise pulls him out into consciousness. And the dream full of memories fades. He is back in the Capitol. Where if he refuses to answer, a whip would slap him and an overwhelming pain would run through his body.

"No," Haymitch whispered one last time.

And once again he slipped into his own world of lost memories and broken dreams.

He dreamed of flying. Flying up and up and away out of Capitol. He dreamed of seeing his loved ones again.

___________________________

Haymitch never did awaken from that dream. Dream. Yes, that's what he thought it was. A mere dream of his mother. Girlfriend. But it was as real as it could get. He did not reveal any secrets. Haymitch Abernathy became what he had always dreamed of. Free.

***A/N***

So it wasn't really happy. PROMISE. PROMISE IT WILL BE NEXT TIME OKAY? OKAY.

Had to^