Two- Mountains

The sun is just breaking over the tops of the mountains we descended from in the night. It lights the dimming sky into a pale color of faded jeans that bleeds across the star scattered night.

I stand still to admire it but I'm really just resting my sore paws. The pads sting and bleed from careless pebbles and sharp rocks on the back side of the mountain range. All of my joints ache from the near constant exertion.

We should find a cave to rest in, I call ahead to Lenora who pushes farther away from me like always.

When we cross these woods we will have a bed to sleep in I promise.

Lenora's promise sparks a new found jolt of energy inside of me. We have been stuck in our wolf forms for the better part of a month and I'm sick of eating bloody deer and scratching at ticks.

What kind of bed and breakfast is in the woods?

Lenora's response both intrigues me and angers me, he's a friend of mine.

A friend, huh?

I'm no stranger to Lenora's reputation. After I learned her name on the first raid I had kept tabs on her. There was a few weeks where she left the pack and I lost connection with her. I didn't know why those weeks put me on edge at the time; I just released my frustration in a series of attacks on her pack. Each time I was searching for her blonde fur among the crowd of wolves.

Lenora stomps through the woods without caring about disturbing the peaceful noise.

I get we are close but let's not alert the whole damn forest to our location, I lecture her and jog a few steps to catch up before falling back into her fast walking pace. She's relentless sometimes.

More like all the damn time.

Side by side, Lenora and I emerge from the woods to cross a broken paved road that cuts through the forest. Lenora darts across without looking but there's no cars to worry about. Once on the other side of the road, Lenora sniffs the air and then begins to walk along the side of the blacktop.

I follow in silence directly behind her in single file. I might as well be traveling alone with the amount of conversation we've had the past few weeks.

So this friend of yours... I trail off hoping to catch her attention.

Just as I predicted, Lenora flicks her tail in annoyance.

What about him?

I respond very bluntly just to watch her squirm, have you ever fucked him?

The blonde wolf stops abruptly and whips around to face me nose to nose. I can feel her breaths brush against my face in harsh pants as she tries to reel in her anger.

No, her beautiful blue eyes pierce my soul and carve out my heart.

I was just wondering. I side step her and carry on down the same road. I don't know where this friend of hers lives but I'm tired of letting her lead. And I love topping my record for the number of times I can make Lenora roll her eyes in one day. Fourteen times.

A white mail box comes into view; just as I am about to ask how much farther we have to go, Lenora charges ahead. She turns into the driveway marked by the mail box and disappears in the thick cover of the trees.