"Do you have anything at all to say to me?" He stood up, and moved towards me from behind his desk.

He crouched down next to me, with his hand resting on the arm of the chair.

He spoke in a low tone. "Miss Dunbar, you don't have to be afraid of me. I am not judging you. I was not aware that you worked here these past four years. But I need you to reconsider your resignation. I read your file, and I'm offering you the position of Sales Accounting Executive. You more than qualify for the job."

I turned to face him for the first time, and my heart began to quiver. "You aren't upset with me?" I asked in disbelief.

"No." He simply answered. "I need to fill this position immediately, and this is business. This has nothing to do with our past meeting."

I was left speechless. I had originally applied for that job, four years ago. I was passed over and the position went to Diane. I did her job and mine, most of the time. She received all of the accolades. Why is Skyler offering me the job?

"Of course this is business, Mr. Pennington." I sat up straight. I cleared my throat, and tried to sound assertive and self assured. I was actually shuddering inside with him right next to me.

"I'll give you a couple of days to think it over. Let me know by the end of the week." He stood abruptly. Then poured a glass of water from the pitcher on his desk, and handed it to me.

How did he know my throat was so dry?

My hands were shaking as I took the glass from him. The water was moving to and fro inside the glass. It gave away my uneasiness. I looked up into his unusual azure colored eyes, "Thank you, I will let you know by Friday."

I averted my gaze, and took a sip of water. My brow puckered in confusion, as to why I was recommended for this job. I went unnoticed for several years. He didn't even know who I was at the wedding!

He sat in a chair near me in front of his desk. "I hope you take the position. I know it's a lot to be uprooted and moved to Georgia. Do you have a family here in Texas?" He seemed curious, waiting for my answer. And he also seemed nervous for some reason.

He quickly bounced up out of his chair and started pacing near his desk. He looked at me, as if I reminded him of someone. He held his pointer finger over his top lip, while he was engrossed in thought.

"It's just me, I'm not married. I don't have any children, and my parents don't live in Texas." I bit my lip, and apprehensively answered him. I didn't feel comfortable giving him too much information about myself.

"So, your parents don't live in Texas? Then that answers my question. I thought I might have met you before the wedding, last year. Never mind, its not important." He took a strange glance at me.

"It sounds like you have nothing holding you back. . . . Think it over and let me know." He took a step closer, studying my face without speaking. Unnerving me with his steady silent gaze. His cellphone rang, he looked at the screen as he picked it up off of his desk.

"I have to take this call. Please get back to me about the position, ASAP." He put his hand over the phone, while commenting to me. Then he proceeded talking to the unknown caller.

I nodded my head and quietly left his office.

Hmm. . . That was strange. What will my answer be?

I drummed my fingers lightly on my chin, as thoughts were swirling around my head. I thought it odd that he didn't dwell on our first surprise meeting. I certainly didn't expect to be his plus one. I know he has to be extremely curious about me crashing the Carrington wedding.

I was hoping to find an answer that day. And perhaps meet up with someone who could help solve a burning question. It looms in my mind every day, since I was a little girl. Who, and where are The Dunbars?

*****

I grew up as, Nicole Dunbar. But I was raised by my auntie and uncle, Maxine and James Smith. Uncle James was my mama's brother. I was told that my mama died during childbirth. I really never had much information besides that. I always knew that I was bi-racial, and I have no other siblings. I never knew my daddy, or his family.

My mother and father eloped, when they were young. My grandparents and my father's parents did not agree with their relationship. They made a home here in Dallas, and my mom got pregnant with me.

When she died, my father couldn't bear to raise me alone. He gave me to my aunt and uncle, who weren't able to have any children of their own.

They welcomed me with open arms. They are the only family I've ever known.

My father passed my aunt my mama's wedding ring. "Please give this to Nicole, when she gets older. I wish I could do more." He left the porch steps after kissing my forehead.

It was so painful to hear that he never looked back. Nor did he leave a forwarding address. My aunt shared that experience with me one day.

Why didn't he ever try to contact me, as I grew up? That bothered me for most of my life.

I wear the gold wedding band on my right hand everyday. It's my only tie to my mom and dad. Growing up in the South was not easy being bi-racial. But I survived with a very loving aunt and uncle.

They softened my blows and cared for my emotional wounds. They were there for me when I got into scrapes at school, or with the neighborhood kids.

I came in the door from work, after meeting with Skyler Pennington. "Princess!" My favorite Yorkie puppy greeted me, with her body shaking excitedly.

I bent over and scooped her up into my arms. "You're such a good girl. What have you been up to today?" I held her up in the air, looking into her animated eyes. Then, I ran my fingers through her close cropped fur. It alleviates stress, cuddling her close to my chest.

She yipped and yelped. "That's exactly what I thought you'd say." I responded, while sinking down into the sofa with her at the same time. She was so comforting to see and hold. She is always happy to see me.

"I was offered a job promotion today, that I applied for a few years ago. The catch is, we would have to move to Savannah, Georgia," I sighed, as my thoughts turned to the man offering me the promotion. He was somehow changed since our last meeting one year ago.

Princess interrupted my thoughts, as she jumped off of my lap and scratched at the front door. A good walk could clear my mind. "Hold on girl, let me grab your leash." I clipped her leash to her collar, grabbed my keys, and we headed out of the door into the warm Dallas evening.

Votes and Comments Appreciated 😊