Chapter 8: Murder (RW)

Old readers, this chapter is entirely new content. The scenes here didn't happen in the original version, though it was in the original plot line(that I barely followed because I'm an idiot).

 The scenes here didn't happen in the original version, though it was in the original plot line(that I barely followed because I'm an idiot)

My eyes were wide as I watched a dark figure jump out the window. The curtains billowed as cool wind swished into the room.

I ran to my window, placing my hands on the sill. At some point, my towel fell off my shoulders, landing on the floor. As I peeked my head out to look down, I had to brush the clingy black strands of semi-wet hair out of my face to see.

There was nothing.

Nothing, but a faded piney scent, disappearing when the next breeze came in.

But I'm sure there was someone- something here barely a second ago. In the split second I saw it, I couldn't catch a single detail of the figure besides it being tall. Goosebumps rose on my skin, and I wasn't sure whether it was just because of the cold.

I thought back to the letter I found in my closet, wondering whether whoever was just in my room was the same one to leave the letter. Probably. I couldn't think of another reason there'd be someone here, just minutes after I received it.

It was odd. Why were weird things happening all of a sudden? From the incident this morning up until now, the atmosphere around me was strange. I had a strange feeling. It was like I was behind a thin screen, so weak that with the slightest breeze, it would rip, and the barrier between me and the other side would vanish, plunging me right in to unfamiliar territory.

An oddly specific feeling, huh? I shook my head, self-mocking. It was an attempt to dispel the feeling, simply too far-fetched, especially with how easily I could come up with it. It felt more like I was caught in the spur of the moment and over-dramatized a situation based off my own fantasy.

Still, it didn't change the fact that someone had just been in my room, even leaving a letter. A chill ran up my spine.

Hastily, I shut the window, pulling the curtains to a close seconds after. It was then that I realized my heart was pounding loudly. I placed my hands over my chest, shutting my eyes tightly while I waited for the raging beast in my rib cage to appease itself. Calm down, Evie. Calm down and think.

I think I sat there like that for at least an hour, yet I didn't manage to generate any ideas. What are you going to do now?

Ah, what to do. In any case, I wasn't about to risk staying here overnight. It would've been equal to deliberately waiting for the intruder to come back.

Should I go to a hotel for the night? But I should at least call Seth and tell him about the situation.

I tsked bitterly. So much for living in a 'safe house.' Someone managed to make it in anyways.