Chapter 19

The minute I step inside Sunday’s, I feel like walking out again. The place is full of hearts. Hearts in the windows, hearts on the counter, hearts hanging from the ceiling. Everything is red and pink. The place itself isn’t that packed, but there’s still more people now than last time I was here.

Yolanda sees me before I reach the table I’ve set my eyes on and her face lights up, flashing me a smile.

“You’re back! I knew you couldn’t resist me!”

She winks at me and pulls me in for a hug. She’s warm and smells of coffee.

“I’m actually here to meet…” I start but she cuts me off.

“Ashton. I know, sweetie. He’s coming for you soon.” She lets go off me.

“What’s with all the hearts?”

She frowns at me. Should I know why there are so many hearts? There are even small silver hearts on Yolanda’s ears.

“It’s Valentine’s day.”

“It’s…oh.”

How did I forget?

“I take it as you don’t do this whole Valentine’s thing?”

I shake my head.

“It’s just an excuse to buy chocolate and flowers to the one you love. Why not show her or him that you love them every day and not just one day a year?”

“Are you sure you’re not Ashton’s girl?”

“I’m sure,” I blush. “Why?”

“Because he says those words, exactly those words, every year. Thinks it’s just a waste of…"

“…waste of love, really. And time. I mean who makes these hearts, anyway?”

Ashton is now standing next Yolanda, holding a pink heart, the same as the ones hanging from the ceiling. Somehow he looks dressed up even if he’s wearing regular black jeans and a grey t-shirt. His hazel eyes meets mine and I know I’m still blushing.

“Don’t ruin the decoration, boy. I spent an hour putting them all up.” She grabs the heart from his hand and make sure it’s still whole, before she puts it on the table behind her.

“Maybe you should spend less time on putting them up and more time taking care of your customers.” Ashton sits down in front of me. “Hi, we’d like to see the menu.”

I put my hand to mouth, trying to stop the laughter from slipping out. Yolanda rolls her eyes.

“We have a special menu just for today, if you’d like to see it, sir.”

“Yes please, ma’am.”

“It’s pink and shaped like a heart, I hope you can manage,” Yolanda says and I can’t help but laugh. “But those are for couples only, are you two perhaps on a date?” She raises an eyebrow and I stop laughing, turning red and Ashton does the same.

“Uhm…perhaps we are.”

My eyes and mouth widen. Wait, did he just say we’re on a date?

“Well in that case, here you go.”

Yolanda hands a heart shaped menu to me and another one to Ashton. She walks back to the counter, humming on an unknown song. It wouldn’t surprise me if it was a song about hearts.

“Are we on a date?”

“I don’t know. Are we?”

“You have a girlfriend.”