Chapter 9

ASHTON POV

What was that? That feeling… It felt like electricity when I reached over and grabbed her arms. And the heat that spread underneath the palms of my hands. Did she feel it too? She must have. I couldn’t be the only one whose breathing became slower and world stopped spinning. Because it did. Everything around us stopped. No one was moving. The coffee machine went quiet and the only sound I could hear was her and my breathing, synchronized. I want to keep holding her but something tells me to let go. I wonder what will happen if we kiss… 

“I’ve got to go,” she mumbles.

It feels like déjà vu when she quickly gathers her bag and runs out of the café shop. I don’t even get the chance to say goodbye. Should I run after her? Or would that be weird? Creepy almost? I wonder what was going through her mind during the time I held her.

“Did you scare her off? I liked her,” Yolanda takes the seat in front of me, the one Joselyn had sat in, just 2 minutes earlier.

“No, she had to go,” I explain. Or did she really?

“She did seem like she was in a hurry so I thought you’d said something inappropriate.”

“I never do,” I defend myself.

“You do. You and your big mouth, always so curious,” Yolanda rolls her eyes.

It’s true. I always seem to ask the wrong questions, I never know when to stop. I’d seen it with Joselyn, her eyes started watering when I asked her about the bracelet.

“Well, you know where to find me if you need to talk,” Yolanda stands up.

“I know.”

“Oh, and Ashton,” she says, almost demanding. “Take care of her. She’s a good girl.”

 I know. She's too good to be true.

JOSELYN POV 

I don’t stop until I see the front porch. What am I even running from? We touched and I felt something, clearly he felt it too because he stopped moving the minute we touched. I’m not sure what it was, but I have never ever felt anything like that before. Warmth. Electricity. It felt powerful. I was never good at Physics, even though I got an A somehow, but I do remember Professor Dunn trying to recreate an electric shock in 6th grade, and we got to try. That’s how it felt. Like an electric shock going through your body but you don’t jump because it hurts. No, you stay, and hold on because that shock makes your heart race and you want more because it feels so…good. Good in a wrong way. And you don’t ever want to let go. You’re addicted to it.

The next day I wake up early, as usual. I debate whether I should get up or stay in bed for at least another 30 minutes, considering it’s only 7.40am and it’s a Sunday. But my stomach makes the choice for me.

Mom’s sitting with her coffee cup by the table when I reach the bottom of the stairs. She’s already dressed in her usual black pants and creamy blazer. She always wear her working clothes, even at home. Some people never seem to take a break. Her glasses are on the table.

“Good morning. We’re out of bread and there’s no cereal. I was just going to the store.”

“Oh,” I close the refrigerator door again, suddenly not feeling hungry anymore. “I’m gonna take a walk.”

“This early? You sure you don’t want to eat first?”

“I’m good.”

I pull on a pair of jeans and an old washed out t-shirt before walking outside. 40 minutes later I find myself outside the place I ran out from yesterday.