Chapter 4

The week goes by and I don’t see Michael, Emma or any of the others but I’m glad. Last time I saw them I wasn’t in my best shape and besides, I needed some time to get started in school. We've already gotten a paper to write that is due next week. The others in my class don’t bother me and I’ve actually made conversation with a few of them. I can’t remember their names though. Jeremy and Rebecca, maybe? What a bad friend I must be. But my teacher likes me. He’s nice, too, and we had a small chat about America. He’s originally from Boston but moved here 15 years ago because he fell in love. He told me he knew how it was to leave everything behind, even though I didn’t really care. That, I didn’t tell him. I didn’t want to keep that conversation going for much longer.

As I’m heading to my car, my phone vibrates.

*Why study American History when you’re from Canada? /Ashton*

*How did you get this number? And Canada is a part of North America, you fool*

Can he see me? I look up, half expecting him to wave from the other side of the parking lot, but there’s nobody. Should I have told him I used to live in Chicago when I was younger?

*Stalker, you know ;-)*

I smile to myself but was still a bit freaked out over how easy it was for him to contact me. I don’t know what to text him back. He’s nice and I somehow feel I could text him anything, like ask him if he wanted to do something later, maybe hang out. But I know he wouldn’t wanna hang out with me anyway, why would he? I stop walking. How did he know what I was studying? I haven’t told him. I text him back.

*Michael told me*

Did I tell Michael the first day? I can’t remember. That day is kind of a blur to me, I only remember small fragments. But I don’t care if any of them know what I'm studying. It’s not private. I reach into my bag for my car keys and had just opened the door when someone knocks on my shoulder.

“Michael!”

“Surprised?”

The look on my face must have told him so. It felt like my heart was gonna jump out of my chest.

“Sorry. I haven’t seen you since…,” he goes quiet, not sure how he is going to say it. “Anyway, are you coming to the party tonight?”

“What party?”

“The Hemmings’ are having a party.”

“The Hemmings’?”

The name doesn’t ring a bell, besides I don’t know anyone’s last name here so why should it? Except for Ashton’s. Irwin, if I remember correctly.

“They have a party at their house since their parents are out of town. You should come.”

This is the first time I get invited to a party. A real party, and not just a birthday party when you’re 6 with princesses and presents and balloons. A proper house party. Come on Joselyn, do it, or else you’ll never get friends.

“Sure.”

He smiles, obviously happy I would join. He gives me the adress and tells me to be there by 9.

“What should I wear?” I think but when I see Michael’s face I realize I said it out loud.

“Wear whatever you usually wear at parties. It’s no different than…Oh. You’ve never been?”

My cheeks are heating up and I look down on the ground.

“Skinny jeans and a nice top, really. Something light. It will be hot inside. See you there?”