Ch.38 Dakota and The Doctor

Start from the beginning

The other boy is the one with the wild green eyes. Up close like this, he reminds me a little of a cat. A mischievous, willful creature. He looks like someone who asks a lot of questions and teases people during tense moments.

He's one I'm going to have to keep my eye on.

No one says anything, until one of the young men finally breaks the silence.

"Hi," the blonde one moves toward me with a vibrant energy. I'm immediately wary. No one should be that happy. "I'm Doctor Green, we met a few hours ago. I'm here to check you over, before we take you home. Just in case you might need to follow your friend to the hospital. How are you feeling?"

He reaches out to me, another hand to shake. I narrow my eyes on him. I also don't take his hand. I don't shake hands with mischief-makers.

"You stole my thing." I sternly warn him. He jerks back a little with a confused expression on his face. The dark-haired boy looks at the doctor with a detached type of inquisitiveness. An empty type of interest.

"What thing?" He asks. He pats himself, like he didn't just walk in here, and he might actually have picked up something of mine by accident.

I tilt my head, and lean back against the mirror behind me. I have my legs tucked underneath me, and the milkshake squeezed between my hands. I'm sure I look ridiculous, cradled in the basin of the sink, but I'm comfy. I might even be able to nap here.

"My name is Cyan. Like the color. And you are Doctor Green." I smile at him, and he reflexively smiles back at me; a big, sweet smile lighting up his face. "Green, like the color." I explain. I watch the realization light up his face, and he chuckles. His friend, however does not. He leans against the side of the nearest wall of lockers with a stiffness that looks uncomfortable. 

"Yeah, no. I'm older than you." Dr. Green smiles happily at me. "So really, you stole my thing."

I shake my head at him, not in denial but in amusement. At least he's a funny mischief maker.

My eyes go to the other boy. He smiles tightly at me, with far less warmth then his sunny counterpart. I extend my hand to him, and try to look at least slightly less crazy than he probably thinks I am. He saw me crush Rodney's head like a pumpkin. I don't blame him for that look in his eye.

That look like he's not sure if I'm a rabid dog or a cornered raccoon.

He pushes off the lockers, and edges toward me to take my hand gingerly.

"I'm Dakota Lee." His smile is still tightly affixed to his face, and his voice sounds just as stiff. It's a robotic tone, with little infliction. I've never actually heard someone sound so emotionless. Not even the most clinical people I know have perfected his level of.....detachment. I'm almost impressed.

"It's nice to meet you, Dakota." I squeeze his hand gently. "I'm Cyan Lavele."

He seems to flinch at my name and I ignore it. I let go of his hand, and turn back to my milkshake. I've used up all my good graces today. If he wants to keep looking at me like that, then he can stand there and stare at me like that while I drink my milkshake. 

"Could you hop down for me?" The doctor asks me. "I can't look over you with you all squished up in the sink, now can I?" 

I raise my eyebrows and shrug. "I'm fine. I don't need a doctor. Just let me know when it's time to go. Please." 

Dr. Green frowns and his hands go to his hips as he stares me down. "I need to look over you. You've had quite a day, and I wouldn't be a very good doctor if I just let every patient I had tell me that they were 'fine'."