Chapter 36: The State

Start from the beginning

   She watched as the boy's face feigned innocence. "Princess..." Kyle started with a thoughtful expression, "Is it just me or did you grow shorter..? Outdid science, eh?" Kyle smirked as Akira brought a hand to her face and sighed in playful disappointment, "No matter how much you grow physically, you will always be a child." Both stared intently at each other in fake annoyance until they couldn't anymore and burst into laughter.

     Kyle stopped to catch his breath and smiled at his princess. He had finally found her, and contradictory to what he said before, she did grow taller - and not just taller. Her hair now reached to her mid-thighs and she looked mature. She didn't seem fearful in the slightest. He had seen her converse with her friends and it seemed that they respected her a lot, and it was not because she was a princess, but because she did something to deserve that respect from them. He couldn't wait to hear how she coped with everything. He knew he was going to be proud of her journey.

     They shared a moment of contentment before Akira's smile dropped slightly - much to Kyle's confusion, "How is Kurisutaru doing?" Kyle shook his head and smiled at her before heading towards their awaiting carriage that was parked outside the gates in a hidden area, "No need to worry at all. We're coping just fine, we just need our princess back." Akira creased her eyebrows as she followed Kyle, "Are you sure they want me there?" Kyle tilted his head in confusion, "What could you possibly be talking about?" Akira's eyes dropped to the floor as she slightly fidgeted.

     A look of understanding crossed Kyle's features. He pursed his lips from trying to explain, he knew he could do little to help her in this situation. She'll have to see it for herself. He nodded in greeting to the coachman as he opened up the door to the carriage and bowed to the princess. Akira nervously smiled at the unfamiliar face before freezing when she looked at the carriage. How do you get on a carriage in a royalty manner again? Akira most definitely blanked her head out. 

     You're thinking too much. Just get on.

     But there's a coachman from Kurisutaru watching me. I need to make a good expression.

     Oh God, what does getting on a carriage got to do with this?

     EVERYTHING!

     Fortunately, she didn't have to decide how she should act. Kyle moved beside her and smiled, "You are welcomed in the country - that I know for sure." With that to calm her nerves, Kyle lowered his head and offered his arm, "Shall we get going then, princess?" Akira took a deep breath and placed her hand in Kyle's before hopping onto the carriage.

     "We shall."

Akria's POV

     My leg wouldn't stop shaking when Kyle woke me up to inform me that we were nearing the gates of Kurisutaru. I peaked out the window to see the river that trailed up to and into Kurisutaru. The familiar surroundings put an ache in my heart. I was finally back after years of wondering if I was wanted here. I looked back at Kyle to see he him smiling warmly at me. My mouth instinctively stretched into a grin.

     It was a strange journey, to be honest. Kyle had told me that when he made it to the 'ninja' world, he wanted to keep track of where he was going. But he realized that there were strange markings on some of the trees, and it led to the leaf village - not all the way, but close enough. When I told him that it was probably the marks that I made when I arrived there, he told me he knew.

Flashback

     "I thought as much," Kyle agreed, "I mean, who else came from our world, you know?" I nodded with a smile. He turned to me and took a deep breath, "I promised you that I would tell you how I survived." My face lit up, "Yea. Please do tell." He gave a small smile, "I didn't get obliterated - and I'm not saying that the d2k bomb had no effect on me - I just managed to survive. The d2k bomb isn't that strong. It did burn me up completely and without Konohagakure's help, I would've surely stayed dead." I scrunched up my eyebrows, "Stayed dead?" He gave a pained smile, "Yea, I did die. I had felt the most excruciating pain and then I just had to give up. I couldn't hold on anymore.