Chapter 1

Lara's POV

"Mom! Dad! Julian! Breakfast is ready!" I announced and watched them make their way towards the dinning table.

"Geez. Did you really have to shout?" Julian taunted me from across the table. "You know, some of us have sensitive hearing. Being a werewolf and all but I guess you wouldn't know anything about it, human."

I glanced at my dad but he ignored me and continued reading the morning paper. My mother was no different, she merely sneered in my direction and continued eating. Of course. I thought to myself. They never cared before, so why start now.

I kept quiet as the breakfast continued. As soon as it ended, everyone left the table, leaving me to clean up after them. With a heavy sigh, I got to work and made my way to my room to get ready for school. I wore black jeans which were a size too big along with an oversized hoodie. I gathered my hair into a neat bun and covered my head with the hood of my jacket. My family preferred for me to be unattractive and unwanted so that basically meant dressing like a weirdo everyday.

I grabbed my school bag and ran out of the house with only ten minutes to spare before the schoolbell rang. Shit! I rode my battered bicycle as fast as I could but I was obviously still late. The teacher handed me a detention slip more out of habit and I immediately made my way to my usual seat in the far corner of the room.

I watched as Audrey Summers, the popular girl and James' girlfriend, lazily walked into the classroom without so much as a sigh from the teacher. She was suppose to be our future Luna even though everyone knew that she and James weren't actual mates. She was pretty and a strong fighter in both human and wolf form. Everyone adored her. Well, everyone but me.

She spotted me and her ruby stained lips formed a smirk. She made her way towards me just as the bell for the first class rang. Everyone quickly filed out of the room and left me alone with the she-devil. I mentally rolled my eyes. She just can't go a day without confronting me.

"Well, if it isn't the weak little human. I don't know why you're still here. No one wants you around." She mocked me with the same opening line that everyone used. I kept quiet. I'm human. I'm insignificant so what I say doesn't really matter.

"Your parents don't want you and neither does your brother. This whole pack despises you. You can't shift and you can't fight. You're good for nothing, really." She carelessly shrugged as each word felt like an arrow piercing my chest but I was numb to the feeling by now.

She leaned in until our faces were only inches apart. "When I'm Luna, you'll be the first thing to go." She whispered her threat and I lowered my eyes to hide my anger. How dare she? A malicious voice rang in my head. I tried to keep the shock off my face so Audrey wouldn't see it. Could it be? No. The pack doctor confirmed that I would never be able to shift and that I was fully human. My hopes died as quickly as they came.

"Babe, stop it. She's a nobody. Stop wasting your time with her." A deep voice spoke. We both turned our heads toward the door of the classroom. A tall male with beautiful brown hair and stormy grey eyes looked at us with an amused expression. James Reynold. The future Alpha of the Emerald pack. His dimples were prominent and in an instant, Audrey had her arms around his neck and their lips met in a passionate kiss.

Jealousy bloomed in my chest. The feeling was foreign and made me more puzzled. Why was I having such weird mood swings today? Maybe because it was a day before my birthday. If I was a werewolf, tomorrow would be the day I find my mate but because I'm human, my eighteenth birthday was nothing but a reminder of what I can't have or do.

The couple soon left and the day went by quickly. I only got shoved about four times in between classes today which is a relief. I wasn't really in the mood to deal with anymore bullshit after what happened with Audrey in the morning.

I reached home after sitting in the detention room and immediately began with my chores. Julian and my parents left for the pack house. Today was James' eighteenth birthday and since he was the Alpha's son and the future of the pack, everyone who was  important had to attend. I didn't qualify.

I quickly finished my homework and had a nice shower before crawling into my warm bed. Instead of falling off to sleep, my mind began to conjure up unnecessary thoughts. I wonder what would happen if James met his true mate. Would he leave Audrey just to be with her or will he break her heart by rejecting her? I hope he doesn't do the latter. If heartbreak was painful for a human then rejection for a werewolf was worse than death.

Sometimes I'm glad I'm not a werewolf. I'm almost a hundred percent sure that if I was then my mate would reject me on the spot.

My head continued to spin with these thoughts and before I knew it, I was fast asleep.

_______________________________________