Chapter -64{Nowhere else to be}

Start from the beginning

Aabid and Manik rode ahead of her they saw town gate. She was anxious now. They were about enter the town and she was informed how people there awaited her arrival. Gate opened and so did a world so new and different.

Nandini could feel her pores standing as she blinked her eyes on it. There were people, so many of them. Their faces were making her retrospect her entire journey till date. Those people welcomed her with smiles and hopes, their zeal was on display as they all stood on sides of path awaiting her. She got off her horse with help of Annie and stood at the gate hearing those cheerful greetings. 

Nandini found herself remembering when she had walked on the other side of fence holding her mother's hand few months back. They were welcomed by bitter words, hatred and mortification. Life had taken a circle, she just didn't realize till now. 

She looked beside instinctively and found no one. She didn't know if she could ever forgive herself for to walk away from her mother that day. She kept looking at ground beside her and soon found someone standing next to her. As she looked up, she found her father looking at her with an affinity. He smiled at her, he had come to know her all over again. He might not be the same man but he had found a way back to her. For him, Nandini still meant the world. 

Her eyes welled a little as she realized how her parents had always managed to be there for her no matter in what state were they. She engulfed her father in her arms and he hugged her back. Her eyes wandered across people and she wished how she could find her mother standing there somewhere smiling at them. But then, she had left believing in fairy tales long back. She let her eyes sip the tears back. 

____________

The walk of shame at the refugee camp then and this heartwarming homecoming, Nandini couldn't wish for time to be more humble. She smiled ear to ear as a kid came running to her to give her a rose. He ran away as soon as Nandini kissed his cheek. 

They had just walked across the colony with almost everyone greeting them. She hadn't felt this loved in a long time. She could see that those people loved her and her father so much. Her father was no less than a hero of them. Nandini now stood at a roundabout. Her eyes again darted to the statue in middle of street. It was her father's. Her father had done a great deal of work for Easterners. Her eyes yet again shone in pride while she gazed that statue. 

She looked around to see her father hopping into a beautiful carriage which had come to take them to the place where they were supposed to stay. Aashi had held his hand tightly while he got seated in carriage. After her, Aashi was the one whom he trusted the most. She smiled at them and Aashi tried to return the smile. 

Another carriage came gliding towards her and stopped right in front of her. 

"Ms Murthy, We cannot wait to welcome you in your new home," Veer insisted and she smiled weakly. Her eyes roamed to find that one face who was nowhere to be seen from past half an hour. He and Aabid Bhai had disappeared as she greeted the locals there. 

She decided to take the wagon but then heard a horse neighing. Her eyes urgently roamed in dark and found a contour riding towards her. She could recognize him even when it was the darkest shade of night. She smiled in relief. 

Manik's eyes found hers as he approached her. For a second or two, his eyes darted towards Veer who was waiting for Nandini to take the wagon. She couldn't see diffidence in his eyes but a tinge of disapproval. She had known the fact how Manik and Veer shared cold vibe. She didn't get time to ponder over the reason. 

"I have something to show you," Manik said and advanced his hand. 

There was no chance she was going to deny. Her hands were full with flowers and she didn't want to leave them behind. She looked so adorable with that helpless desperation.