Prologue

PROLOGUE 

A howl echoed off the dungeon's dreary granite walls.  

Rondel stirred on the damp, hard floor, grumbling. Without opening his eyes, he cupped a hand over each ear. He had heard all sorts of screams during his imprisonment, and he knew these would stop eventually.  

They all stop when they're dead, he thought. 

The howl came again, angry. It carried a certain amount of defiance, like a cornered wolf rather than the crying of a trapped lamb he had grown accustomed to hearing over the years. 

He shifted his thin body, arm numb from sleeping. The cold air of the cell caused his pale skin to shiver. Approaching middle age, he felt like a man in his eighties.  

Heavy footsteps, clanging armor, and urgent shouts told him that more guards had been called in to subdue the prisoner.  

Interesting. 

Rondel sat up blinking and rubbed his rough, unkempt beard with his good hand.  

The sounds of the scuffle got louder as long shadows bounced off the wall in front of his cell. No one had given the guards so much trouble since they had arrested a behemoth from Kurk several years earlier. The guards had to break that monster's kneecaps to bring him down.  

Rondel wondered if they would resort to a similar technique as a shrieking guard thudded into a wall.  

Was that Finn? He's going to hurt come morning. 

"Gods, she's strong." 

"Grab hold of her arms!"  

She? Her? 

More guards rushed in, better organized than before. A dull thump sounded and the prisoner's efforts ceased.  

Heavy breathing filled the air. 

Cerk, the head jailor, ordered his men to take positions around the prisoner. Shuffling feet and hushed curses followed his subsequent commands.  

The battered group came into view. The guards dragged the slumping prisoner behind them in a way that made it impossible for Rondel to study the mysterious woman.  

"Wait. We're going to just stick her in with Rondel for right now," said Cerk. 

"I thought we weren't supposed to mix women with men," said another. 

Cerk pulled out a key. "Please. Like Rondel is going to overpower her. Besides, do you really want to drag her down two levels at this time of night?"  

An echoing squeal bounced around the space as Cerk opened the door. He led the group inside. They smelled of fresh sweat from their recent activity. 

Rondel spoke without thinking. "Had a bit of trouble, I see." He snorted. "And with a woman too?"  

Cerk wheeled in anger, thick brows furrowed and face reddening. Rondel reflexively curled into a ball, immediately regretting his remark. Even after all these years, he still struggled to hold his tongue.  

A heavy boot slammed into his back, the treaded sole raking across his skin. The air left his lungs, and his eyes watered.  

"I don't recall asking your opinion, old man."  

Two more kicks struck Rondel's back. A third his head.  

He wept.  

"Don't get too attached to your new cell mate. Like the others, she'll be gone long before you get out of here." Cerk called to the others. "Throw her in the corner and double her chains. You've seen what she can do."