chapter.14

daisy

She bit her lip and stared down her opponent with what she believed was an unreadable poker face. Without breaking their eye contact and with him adorning a quizzical expression, Daisy pushed the wooden castle forward a space.

Owen shook his head in silent laughter before casually knocking over her second to last remaining chess piece, putting it directly in line with her King. "Checkmate," he said smugly.

The girl huffed and folded her arms with a pout on her lips as she glared at the chess board, silently reprimanding the Queen that had gotten herself captured early in the game. "I-I think you cheated."

He rolled his eyes at her and began to set the board up again. "Don't blame me just because you suck at chess."

"You're j-just bad at teaching," she countered playfully. It was times when Seth was away that she really appreciated having a friend such as Owen. Innocent conversations of common interests took her mind away from the bad things her boyfriend was doing.

"Whatever, Princess." Owen snapped but with the amount of time they spent together, Daisy could now easily hear the humour in his voice. "So where's the devil then?"

She feigned obliviousness with a tilt of her head. "I d-don't know who you're talking a-about."

Again, the guy rolled his hazel eyes from behind his thick rimmed glasses. "Your boyfriend. The love of your life. Your sweet Sethy bear."

"Hey!" Daisy immediately yelled, unfortunately attracting the attention of an older, ornery looking prisoner, which caused her to give an apologetic smile at his scowling face. "I only called him that once in front o-of you," she said animatedly with her finger wiggling in his face.

"Only because he told you not to do it again," he said, to which she mumbled, "didn't have a problem with it in private."

Ignoring his confusion at her inaudible words, she said louder, "he's doing secret things."

"Do you know these 'secret things'?"

Daisy didn't like the judgmental tone in his voice but decided against commenting about it. She simply replied, "of course I do. He tells me all his secrets." And it was true. He didn't really keep secrets from her and told her whatever she wanted to know. Only, she found that ignorance was in fact bliss and it helped her to sleep a lot easier when she wasn't aware of the dangerous activities he was doing.

Seth was currently trading chocolate for more pillows as they planned to make a pillow fort for Christmas. They realised getting a Christmas tree in their cell wouldn't be possible.

"Well, as long as he's looking after you," Owen said with a surprising amount of care that made her heart warm in her chest.

"Aw Owen," she gushed as her face melted at the sight of a blush rising up her neck. "T-this is why you get the best Christmas p-present." Actually, he got the fourth best but she wasn't going to let the details ruin their moment.

At least, she thought it was a moment until a sadness took over Owen's face. "I- I'm not going to be here at Christmas." He sounded just as shocked to be saying it as Daisy was hearing it.

"A-are you dying?" She asked. Her eyes were already stinging with tears as she looked at her first cell mate twiddling his thumbs in front of her in his orange jumpsuit and signature round glasses.

"No. I'm getting out early. Good behaviour apparently." He smiled sheepishly at her gaping expression.

"H-how come you didn't say anything? And- and what about Christmas?" She felt so guilty that she wasn't as overjoyed as she knew she should've been. Daisy really tried to mask her sadness but knowing her inability to hide her emotions, it probably didn't work.