Prompt #11

Prompt: Janine and Kory's reaction when they find out his dad is dead.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

                The police officer, Zach Williams, dragged his feet up the steps of the house and rang the doorbell. It was late, and he doubted that this man’s wife would even be awake.

                The call had come in, and he had driven over. But the guy had been dead on the scene, a guy driving home drunk from the bar. Zach was in charge of telling the family that this man was dead. They had identified him as Aaron Arnold, and Zach knew he had a wife and kid.

                The door opened, revealing a pretty woman in jeans and a T-shirt. Zach’s heart crawled to a stop as he noticed the small, sleepy child clinging to her hand. He was just a little kid.

                 “Janine Arnold?” Zach said, forcing himself to speak.

                “Yes?” she asked, looking nervous. She glanced down at her son Kory before returning her gaze to Zach. “Did my husband get in trouble? A bar fight?”

                “May I come in?” Zach asked, avoiding her question.

                Janine nodded and picked Kory up. She led Zach to the living room and he gestured at the couch.

                “Please sit. And, ah, you might want to send your son out of the room,” he said nervously.

                Janine shook her head. “No, if this is about Kory’s father, than Kory deserves to hear it,” she said. In reality, she knew that Kory was too scared to leave her. Aaron had hit him again today, busting his lower lip. He had been clinging to her all day, and had cried when she left him to go to the bathroom.

                “Mrs. Arnold, there was a car accident,” Zach said.

                Her face paled. “Is Aaron in the hospital?”

                Zach shook his head slowly. “No. Mrs. Arnold, I’m so sorry. Your husband died on the scene.”

                Janine placed a hand over her mouth. Kory watched Zach in confusion, the word “dead” replaying in his head.

                “Dead?” Kory repeated.

                “I’m sorry son,” Zach said, his heart breaking as he looked at the little boy.

                Kory turned to Janine and tugged on her shirt urgently. “Does that mean daddy’s not coming back?” he asked.

                “Daddy isn’t coming back Kory,” Janine whispered, holding him close and stroking his hair.

                “Does that mean he won’t hit me anymore?” Kory whispered.

                “Never again,” she said and pulled him close, closing her eyes as tears pooled, because she felt like a terrible person.

                He’ll never hurt Kory again, she thought to herself. He’ll never lay a hand on Kory again. He’s dead, and I’m relieved.

                A tear leaked down onto her cheek at the relief she felt. Aaron had really started to hurt Kory lately. And now he could never touch the little boy again.

                “Are we safe from daddy?” Kory asked, his voice a barely audible whimper.

                “Yes,” Janine promised him, kissing him. “Yes, Kory, yes. I’m so sorry. Oh, god, I love you. I’m sorry.” She hugged him to herself, letting more silent tears fall, because she knew Kory didn’t understand what was happening. He was just relieved that his dad couldn’t hit him anymore.

                After talking to Zach for a little, he left the house. Janine carried Kory up to his bedroom and sat down with him cradled in her arms.

                “Mommy, are you sure we’re safe?” he asked anxiously.

                “We’re safe, Kory,” she said, kissing him.

                He put his arms around her neck. “Are you sure daddy isn’t coming back? Mommy…” He lowered his voice. “I don’t want him to come back.”

                “He can’t come back,” Janine whispered, rubbing Kory’s back gently. “He can never come back, Kory Monkey. You’re safe. I promise you’re safe.”

                She held Kory as he fell asleep in her arms, looking calmer than he had in a while. She felt tears well in her eyes again, because she was so relieved that Aaron was dead. So glad she didn’t have to be afraid of him hitting her son or her anymore.

                She squeezed her eyes shut, vowing to keep Kory safe from now on. She would help him through this, because eventually she would have to tell him what death really was, and what had really happened to his dad. But for now, she would let him sleep peacefully for the first time in his life, and she would put aside her guilt at Aaron’s death to take care of Kory.