1

Kali

It was finally my birthday, which was cool because I would finally shift tonight, but that also meant that there would be a huge celebration in my honor.

Usually when a pup turned 17, their family holds a private celebration, but since I was the daughter of an alpha, the whole pack was invited. My brother Oliver had one when he turned 17, so now it's my turn, and from what I can remember, it was terrible. I hate being the center of attention, but that was what the whole celebration was about.

Later that night I made my way out of the party hall and found myself sitting near a small creek that flowed by the house. The music from the celebration blasted through the forest, but the sound of the flowing water comforted me. It was all just so soothing.

I heard leaves crunch behind me and turned to see Taylor sitting next to me. Her pack had given her permission to be here tonight since she was like the sister I never had. "What's making you so upset?" She asks. "You haven't been yourself these past few weeks."

I shrug, not really knowing what to say. "I don't really know. Maybe I'm just stressed over the shift, but I think I'm mainly so upset because of the fact that I'm losing Kaleb. He's my best friend, ya know?"

She puts her hand on my back. "Even if you weren't shifting tonight, your parents wouldn't let you see him anymore. He's supposed to be your enemy, not your best friend," She mumbled, rubbing her hand up and down my back.

I let a small growl escape from my mouth which caused her to scoot away. Emotions are heightened during the first shift so even if somebody made me the slightest bit upset, I would feel the urge to rip their head off.

"Look Kali, I'm gonna go back to the party. I hope you do the same," She says before taking off towards the party hall.

I didn't want to go back. I just wanted to be out here alone so I had some time to clear my mind. Before long though, I shifted my attention towards the full moon which was providing the only source of light in the forest.

I whimpered quietly as I began my shift, trying to keep the screams from escaping, but as soon as I heard the first bone crack I couldn't hold it in. A bloodcurdling scream rang through the forest as my bones realigned themselves.

The only one that was allowed to be near me during the shift was my mate, so if he didn't show up soon I would have to do this on my own and I wasn't sure I could handle it.

My canines soon began to elongate as the transition continued. "Please help me!" I shouted, hoping my other half would show up but everything was quiet. "I can't take this."

As soon as the bones in my chest began to crack I started to give up. The pain was just too much for me to handle. I had laid my whole body on the ground, trying to prepare myself for death. Soon my breathing slowed and my eyes began to feel heavy.

"Don't leave," A voice said from above me. The person sat down and pulled me into their lap, their arms wrapped around me tightly.

"Kaleb?" I asked as I looked into his familiar green eyes, the ones I had always admired. I began to panic as I became fully conscious. "You can't be here," I said trying to push him away from me, but he only tightened his grip on me.

He ran his finger through my blonde curls and rested his chin on top of my head. "I have every right to be here, just listen to my voice and let your wolf take over. Everything will be ok," He assured me in a soothing voice.

I gave in, if my mate was anywhere close he would have already been here, so it was either I give up or my best friend help me with the shift.

When I heard the last bone crack, I let out a sigh of relief as all the pain was gone. I was now laying on the ground. I looked in front of me and was met face to face with a wolf twice the size of mine.

I almost jumped away, but I soon realized that Kaleb had shifted into his wolf form. He laid his head on the ground and looked at me, his tail thudding loudly against the forest floor.

My wolf smiled widely at him in my head. He had a stunning wolf. His black fur looked like it could engulf you in darkness and his eyes glowed brightly under the moonlight.

Mate my wolf's voice sounded through my head. She hopped up and down, exited to finally meet our other half.

Kaleb inched closer towards me and buried his nose in my neck, inhaling my sent. I became panicky once I realized he was my mate. I was filled with joy, but also with worry. What would the packs think? Would we have to reject each other?

I won't let that happen his voice rung through my head, loud and clear. It was as if he could read my mind.

He thumped his tail harder on the ground and gave me a wolfy grin. I can. The mate bond allows us to do it.

I quietly snarled, hoping he would get out of my head but he just rolled his eyes at me and stood up. Now he was really towering over me.

We soon shifted back to our skin forms, where he handed me my favorite hoodie that I had laid next to me before the shift. He pulled me close to him and looked into my eyes, giving me that smile that I will always love.

"I never said it back," He mumbled.

I furrowed my brows. "What?"

His smile widened as he spoke. "I love you too, Kali," He said, causing tingles to go up and down my spine.

"Have you known?" I asked, remembering that alphas have the ability to know who their mate is before the other shifts.

"Why do you think we've been getting closer over the past year. I always knew, but I had to keep quiet about it," He mumbled.

I look up at him and pull him into a kiss, causing sparks to fill my body. My wolf jumped up and down with joy in my head.

"She's over here!" I heard my mother's voice shout from close by. Soon, Mom, Dad, and a few betas arrived to where Kaleb and I were. Both of our eyes widened as my dad's eyes went dark red, showing anger.

He tried to come towards us, but my mom put her arm in front of him, causing him to stop. My dad had a reputation for his outbursts but my mom was always the one to calm him down.

"Kaleb, I thought I told you to stay away from my daughter," She said, attempting to sound calm but I could hear the anger in her voice.

Kaleb kept silence for a few seconds before saying,"Mrs. Moore, I respect you completely, but I can't stay away from Kali. She's my mate. She's mine."

My mother sighed and looked over to my father. I could tell they were in the process of a mindlink because they only stared at each other for a good 5 minutes.

My father looked over to me. "Kaleb, you can stay for one night, but the first sign of trouble from you and I will kill you. As for you Kali," His attention turned towards me. "We will discuss this in the morning."

I lowered my head in submission and nodded. We were in for a long ride.