Prologue

4 Years Ago
Kali
Age 14

I kicked gravel up in front of the pack house waiting for Mom to come out and take me to school. Dad was usually the one who took me, but he was away this weekend speaking with another pack somewhere over the Canadian border.

Soon enough, Mom came out the front door and smiled as we made our way to the car. I always admired my mother. She always seemed to understand my problems, unlike my father, and she always put on that same sweet smile even during the darker times of our life.

Once we arrived at the school she walked in to meet with one of my teachers who was also one of our pack healers. She was one of my Mom's childhood friends so everytime she took me to school she always stayed around and started a conversation.

When we arrived in the classroom, I took my usual seat at a table of four other students, my best friend Taylor who was part of a neighboring pack, and my very first crush, Kaleb Wilson. Mom and Dad always told me to keep my distance from him since he was a shadow wolf, one of our rivals. I couldn't help it though. He was just so handsome and his smile could light up a room. Not to mention his light green eyes that could look right into your soul.

2 years later
Kali
Age 16

I growled as Kaleb snagged a tater tot off of my plate. He looked at me with his gorgeous smile and laughed at how mad I was getting. At this point I was almost sure my face was completely red, but I didn't care. I just wanted my tater tot.

"Really Kaleb?" I ask as I cross my arms over my chest.

"What?" He asked. "I only took one."

I frowned at him. "Well add that to the other hundred you have stole from me since we started highschool."

He smiles and puts his hand on my shoulder. "You're right. I'm sorry. But somebody touched this one," He said as he quickly threw another in his mouth.

I wasn't really sure what to do so I just took my hand and smacked him straight across the face. He looked back at me, his mouth wide open. "You're messing with a future Alpha missy. Watch what you do," He says with a chuckle.

I roll my eyes. "Yeah, but not my Alpha," I mutter with a smile.

Present day
Kali
Age 16, two days until birthday

I lean my head against Kaleb's shoulder and let out a long sigh as I watched the cold water flow over the rocks in the river. "You know we won't be able to see each other anymore when you shift. You'll have your mate and I'm not supposed to be anywhere near you anyways," He mumbles as he takes my hand.

Kaleb had already shifted a few months before, but he was unlucky and hasn't found his mate yet. "You'll find her one day. I promise," I say as I look up at him and smile.

He was one of my best friends, and the thought of never being able to talk to him again made my eyes water. "I'm gonna miss you," I mumble, tightening my grip on his hand.

He leaned his head on mine. "Maybe one day the rivalry of our packs will end, and we can go back to being how we are now."

I was about to speak when somebody from behind let out a cough, causing our attention to shoot towards them. "Mom?" I ask as I get to my feet.

Her gaze shoots to Kaleb, who was sitting in the grass with widened eyes. "I don't want you around my daughter anymore. You're a bad influence and should have nothing to do with our pack," She spat out at him.

I growled under my breath, knowing that whatever I said wouldn't phase her. She had already told us many time not to be around each other, but once you become friends with somebody it's hard to stay away from them. It was worse on my part because I had been in love with him since 8th grade when we first met, but I knew he didn't feel the same.

I looked back at him on the verge of tears. "I love you," I mouthed to him, causing his mouth to shut and his eyes to widen even more.