The Pesky Pixies

Here you go, a Fairy Tale . . . with magic creature, but not as you know them ;)

**************************

"He plays jokes, pranks, and tricks

Pokes my toe when I'm trying to write

Makes me trip over my own feet out of pixie spite

Knots up my laces or makes them come undone

Having a pixie in your shoe really isn't fun

But I suppose I'm better off than some

With goblins in the bathroom who make the toilet overrun

Gremlins in their cars who make the engines fall on the road

A gnome living in the garden, bringing his pet toad

Sock monsters in the laundry room, stealing all their left socks

Leprechauns in the living room, resetting all the clocks

Dragons in the dining room, leaving crumbs upon the floor

Unicorns in the neighborhood, ding-dong-ditching at the door

Or brownies beneath their pillows to give them bed head

I'd really rather have a pixie in my shoe instead"

**********************

1 - The Pesky Pixies

A FAIRY DANCING ON A WATER LILY, ITS WINGS GLITTERING IN THE MID DAY sun as the clouds cleared away. That's what Alice could see. She was always seeing things, things that couldn't be explained, ever since her fourth birthday came around. But since her eighteenth, she was seeing more and more.

Like the fairies, they were her most frequent visitors. Sometimes they were tiny little things, no bigger than the palm of her hand. Other times, some would come to her, looking like a normal person but she know that something wasn't quite human about them. After all, when no one else had noticed the fairies arrival, what made them normal?

Alice had made a mistake, a big mistake. She told her mother about the people who would visit her. The fairies, the werewolves, the vampires, the warlocks and even the fallen angels she had seen, standing by her bedroom window. Her mother - thinking she was too old to have imaginary friends - had her daughter admitted to an insane asylum. Alice had rolled her eyes and told her mother there was no point in it, because she wasn't insane, the people were real, but she just couldn't see them. She said to her mother 'you don't believe in fairies because you can't see them, you don't believe in were wolves or angels who have sinned, because you don't know they're there. Yet you believe in God, and you can't see him,' 'But that's completely different,' was her mother's reply. So Alice didn't argue anymore, she didn't see the point.

Today she had been allowed out, so she went to the place she always did, a river in the dark forest about a mile away from the asylum. The sky was clear, the sun streaming gently between the trees of the woods. Alice sat herself on a rock beside the river. She dangled her feet into the water, slipping down the rock until the cool water sloshed around her knees.

She watched the fairy dancing on the lily pads, jumping from one to the next while a frog tried to catch her. The frog disappeared as the fairy giggled jumping on to the back on a humming bird, throwing her head back cackling while they flew away. There was always something not quite as magical and friendly as they seemed. Something terribly evil about the fey people Alice knew that behind the sparkles and smiles, the glitter and the magic, was something dark, something scary. As if they were half angel, and half demon. Good and Bad ran through every fey, and it was dangerous, because they were always tricking people, teasing them, playing games. Causing chaos and mischief where ever they go, but then they can be so very good. Helping little old ladies grow bigger flowers, keeping children safe and interested by playing games while their mother backs were turned. Then again, a few children always did disappear without a trace. Alice knew the fey had taken them.