17. (end)

"i think he's waking up- don't smack him!"

"sorry. tom?"

tom's eyelids opened halfway before dropping back down groggily. he was barely able to make out the two figures towering above him like giants. his whole body felt numb and empty.

"tom, are you awake?" a familiar voice asked.

"ngh..." tom groaned, his voice scratchy in his throat. he tried opening his eyes again and succeeded this time.

matt and edd stood over him with wide, concerned eyes. "uh.. you alright?" edd asked.

"of course he's not!" matt exclaimed, glaring at his lover. tom squinted to get a better look at matt. dark bags hung heavy under his eyes. his ginger locks stuck up all over the place. in short, he looked completely worn out and exhausted.

"i... what happened?" tom frowned. he looked down at his body, wearing only a loose white t-shirt and boxers. with closer inspection he realized his feet and right knee were all bandaged up. stitches trailed halfway up his arm and he also had a pounding migraine. "e- everything feels numb, but hurts at the same time." just saying that sentence made tom lightheaded.

"tord happened," matt spat, venom dripping off his words. flames seemed to rage in his eyes. "he's a worthless piece of human garbage and once i see him again, my hands will be around his throat so fast-"

"matthew." edd stopped him, furrowing his eyebrows. "could you please go make tom some tea? i'll explain to him what happened."

matt seethed, gaze flitting between tom, edd, and tom again. he clenched his fists before nodding. "fine." he stormed off.

edd sighed and sat on the edge of the couch where tom's legs were splayed out. he seemed to think for a moment. "so... matt went to tord's house to break up with him for you. tord ended up knocking matt out, then started to fuck amy. you caught them and freaked out, stepping in glass and cutting open your arm." edd winced. "matt instantly called me. i went to see, and... it wasn't pretty."

tom began recalling some of the memories, slowly nodding. "i remember."

"obviously the police was called. tord tried to bail and drove off into the desert, but they caught him and now he's in rehab," edd continued. "we brought you to the hospital. they stitched you up and bandaged you. we could only afford for you to stay three days there. you had only woke up a few times but didn't talk. you're fine now, thank god."

"oh.." tom murmured, looking down shamefully. "i don't remember that."

"yeah. i'm glad you're okay now." the brunette chuckled. "anyway, you owe an apology to matt. i've never seen him this tired or worried."

tom nodded. "i know. i feel horrible, i- i never meant for him to-" he shut his mouth as matt entered the room holding a mug of steaming liquid.

edd stood up, pecking matt's cheek. "i'm gonna rest, will you be okay?" he asked gently.

matt exhaled softly, shutting his eyes for a few seconds. "yeah. i'll join you in a bit."

"okay." edd glanced at tom and disappeared down a hallway.

"i made chamomile tea."

tom smiled weakly at him and adjusted himself to sit up, a sting of pain shooting up his injured arm. he flinched and took the mug from matt's hands. "uh... i'm sorry for making you worry."

matt shrugged. "it's not your fault. it's tord's." he sat down on the recliner across from tom, sighing heavily. "you really scared me, tom."

"i didn't mean to. i acted out randomly. i dunno." tom took a sip of the tea. the warmth blossomed throughout his chest, the taste of the herb lingering on his tongue.