Chapter XI: The Red Lunar Eclipse

Knock. Knock.

“Great morning, Titus.”

“Great morning, King Orion.”

“Come and join me. We have something to talk about.”

I followed King Orion to the same hall where they had the feast. And then, we went straight to the council room. The castle is particularly grey at this time. The walls are almost paintless like it just had its sand finish. So this tells me something’s not right.

King Orion gazed at me but smiled like he wants to tell me not to worry at all. We waited for the door to open. We entered the room with the rest of the council members. I saw Jeca and Estefan looking bored and the rest talking to each other like businessmen. When they saw us, all of them stood.

King Orion walked towards his chair and waved for the rest to settle down. I sat beside Estefan. I had no choice for it’s the only chair left.

“I saved it for you.”

“Ha ha.”

“Proceed.”

The middle of the table suddenly opened. There was a giant crystal-like ball that slowly came out. Then, Vulpecula stood in his chair once more.

“My lords and ladies and my King, we are all aware as the castle is that something is going to occur—Maledictus Nox.”

“The Red Lunar Eclipse,” said the King.

“It’s going to happen tonight. The Red Lunar Eclipse is where our wall is at its weakest. It’s where Delubio’s creations are strongest. So we better get ready for it shall determine the future of the kingdom and the human world.”

“The winged guardians reported the increasing number of the dark force camping around the wall. There is an estimate of ten mīlle soldiers outside.”

“What kind of soldiers are we talking about?”

I can’t help but ask. Everyone looked at me like I’m supposed to know it. Perhaps someone should at least walk me through the process. I mean, I still don’t know what my mark really means and what power I have if in case I do have. This is not the type of movie I want to be.

Vulpecula looked at me with such concern and answered,

“Are you familiar with mangkukulam?”

“Witches,”

“What about tikbalang?

“Is it the one with the horse of a head and body of a man?”

He nodded.

“And I bet you know how tall a half-giant looks like not to mention the manananggal, sigbin, tianak and black engkantos.”

OK. No questions asked. I now have a clear picture of the war that will happen tonight.

“Lord Gilan, order your men to stand guard by dusk. And Era Minaden, you know what to do with the winged creatures and all our forest nymphs and fairies. Do not forget the night potion.”

King Orion ordered.

Both Lord Gilan and Era Minaden nodded. My heart’s beating so loud I think my seatmates could hear it. Why is everything here so sudden? I mean, yesterday I was just having a tour around the kingdom and then today, we are preparing for war?

I turned my head towards Jeca hoping for an answer.

“It makes the Paraiso citizens sleep.”

“Are we included?”

The Three Marked GuardiansOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara