Chapter 5: Only You

Start from the beginning

Surprisingly, she threw herself into my arms. She wasn't crying, I could tell that - well, perhaps there were tears in her eyes - but she was scared.

I don't know what she might had seen, and I wanted to find out so I could comfort her, in a way. “Emma, talk to me. What was it?” I said, pulling my face back to look at her. “Tell me.”

She swallowed. “No, it's silly.” she said, shaking her head. “Don't bother-”

“Swan, it scared you.” I interrupted her. “It's not silly. All I want to do is help. I know I'm the last person you'd rather talk to, but-”

“You're not.” she said before I could finish my sentence and stayed silent for some moments.

Did she just...

I was happy that she actually wanted to talk to me. I was happy that she is willing to take a leap of faith in me. Three simple words made me so happy. I realized that maybe I was wrong about how she sees me.

I didn't talk. I waited for her to continue. “It wasn't that scary, but... I saw that we went back and there was nothing... I was alone, just like I've always been.” she said, resting her head on my shoulder. “Now, I finally feel loved, and I don't want to lose that, you know?”

Now I could feel her tears on my skin. God, she was crying, and I had no idea what to do. “You're not alone, Swan. You won't lose this.” I said, trying to comfort her in some way.

“It's not that... It's just, what if we mess up here and we go back and everyone is gone? I can't lose my family... Henry...” she sighed, and I started caressing her hair.

Her hair was so soft and beautiful, and it always smelt so great. I'm not going to lie, I always stand near her hair on purpose when I am next to her.

“I get what you're saying, love.” I said. “It's okay to let your walls down. Just have hope. We'll not mess it up.”

She did let her walls down. On me She would have never said all of this otherwise. I knew she needed someone to talk. She always needed someone to talk, but nobody seemed like the right person.

I was glad I was that person.

“You sound like my mom.” she said, and to be honest, it made me laugh at the completely wrong time.

We stayed silent for some minutes, and she had calmed down a bit. “Look, Swan... I don't know if it means something to you, but...” I started talking, knowning that I would probably regret it, “I will always be here for you. Whatever happens. You can lean on me.”

She looked at me, her eyes were still watery and bright in the night. “Of course it means something to me, Killian. It means so much to me, honestly. Thank you.” she said, making me smile. “You've truly changed.” she put her head on my shoulder again and wrapped her arm around my torso.

I wrapped both my arms around her and started rubbing her back with my good hand. I had removed both my hook and brace, so there was no danger of harming her in any way. “You really believe so?”

“Yeah.”

Unlike me, she was dressed. She had put a simple shirt on and shorts, but it was cold outside and there was no heat in the 18th century. She was only slightly shivering, snuggled up to my chest. “Why didn't you tell me you were cold?” I whispered.