Chapter 9

'some people die because others lie.
I love you ~j.k'

I frowned at the second weird text I got this week.
Aunt Layla decided to get me a phone and Tessa spent two frustrating hours teaching me how to use it, I got one text yesterday, saying 'those that die, die for love'.

At first I thought it was the kids playing games with me but then I found out it wasn't, then I thought it was Tessa but then it wasn't as well, I even went as far as thinking it was aunt Layla's snarky husband but then he gave me a look that had me stricken with fear.

It had been officially one week I'd spent in highschool, the days went by fast and uneventful, I still hadn't seen link and Diana at our table and Nickolas avoided me like I had a disease.
Jerry seemed to be busy so I was mostly alone, which gave me more time to realize that I still couldn't understand maths, physics and chemistry but I loved English and a bit of biology.
I still needed a tutor.

My mind was removed from my distracting thoughts as I walked into the kitchen to get an apple.

I heard Maya's shrill scream and my body jumped into action before my mind could think about it.
I ran past the dinning room, leaving my tempting apple in the kitchen.

I got closer, my heart hammering in my chest, my breathing coming out in short ragged puffs.

The annoyingly cute little bundle of joy had secured a soft spot with me and I was genuinely scared for her.

"May-.... "
I reached the living room and the sight I saw had me on a mix of different emotions, all coming with full force.

I first felt relief then searing jealousy then like a closed tap, all my emotions disappeared as I forced myself to not care.

I saw a squealing, happy Maya rolling on the ground, with Mr O'Brien blowing raspberries into her stomach.

My mind traveled back to my childhood before the asylum.

'You can't catch me, you big ogre '
I yelled at the tall giant in front of me as I ran under the table.

This was my favorite hiding place, under the small table in the corner of the living room.

His loud laughter boomed across the room, reverberating off the walls.

'I'm going to get you, you little minx'

He yelled, making loud oger like sounds as he tried to push his head through the table and I squealed and giggled, my little body racking with laughter.

He couldn't get in and I blew raspberries at him, laughing at his defeat.

He frowned and grumbled as if he was upset then a minute later, he pulled the table right off my head, catching me just before I could run away from his grasp.

He tickled me and whispered in my ear.
'Never run away from me, you're my princess'

My trip down Memory Lane was interrupted as I noticed Mr O'Brien straighten up and dust off his clothes.
He must have noticed me staring as he gave me a scowl and left a still giggling Maya on the floor.
She hurried out after him, her laughter echoing after her.

"You ready? "
Tessa asked as she made her way into the living room.

"Yeah sure"
I said, distracted by the events that just took place.

I had conditioned myself not to remember, not to have those memories exist.
But yet......

I walked out to the car, Tessa following me closely behind.