twenty-six

chapter twenty-six: 

"Liam, darling, wake up. Today's the day that you are receiving your early birthday gift." Liam's mother called gently from the door way. 

Liam groaned and moved around in his bed, "My birthday is not for a couple more months." 

"I know sweetie, but this gift has a date attached to it and we have to be there by 1:30pm, so please hurry and get ready." 

Liam stretched in his bed, out of habit he immediately scrambled for his RayBans to hid his acid-burnt eyes. 

Leon came running into Liam's room and greeted him with a million licks to the face.

"Good morning, boy," Liam said in a tired voice. 

He was confused as to why his mom was being so pushy about this gift. It was barely May, his month wasn't for three more months. What kind of gift is three months early? Besides, his Liam's mom was a single mom, she couldn't afford expensive gifts. Liam was used to getting a cake and some clothing, at most. What was going on? 

Liam got up from his bed and changed into the clothing that his mom had separated for him. 

"Mom, I'm ready." Liam said holding onto his walking stick. 

Liam's mom tried to hide her happiness and nervousness, "I love you so much, Liam." She planted a loving kiss on his forehead. 

The pair got into their beat up red, 1996 Toyota and drove off. 

"Can I get a hint as to what this gift is?" Liam asked. 

"It's something you've always wanted." Liam mom's said, feeling as if she had revealed a little bit too much already. 

"Finallyyyy, is it my own guitar?" Liam excitedly asked. 

"No, it's way better than that darling."

"We're here, sweetheart." Liam's mom said opening his door for him and reaching out for his hand. 

Liam grabbed her hand and placed his cane on the floor tapping around trying to get the most out of the location to see where in the hell he was. 

"Where are we?" Liam asked as he tapped his cane through automatic doors into a room that had very few chatter amongst people. 

"You'll see." Liam's mom said with a hint of nervousness to her voice. 

"Hi, what can I help you guys with?" A lady's voice asked Liam and her mom. 

"Hi, we're here for an appointment at 1:30." Liam's mom replied.

"Perfect, go ahead and take a seat and we'll call you guys up in a bit." The lady responded.

"Are we at a restaurant?" Liam asked as they went to take a seat.

"Nope." 

"Liam Payne." A voice called from across the room. 

"Let's go sweetie," Liam's mom said, guiding Liam with her hand. 

"We're at a hospital." Liam said. 

"Yes. We are." 

"So I'm aware that today is your long awaited eye surgery." The doctor said as he closed the private check-up room. 

Liam's lips opened in shock, "Mom...What?!" 

Liam's mom's eyes started watering and she couldn't help but cry and in between sobs say, "Yes sweetie. You're going to get your vision back. Once and for all." 

Liam was flabbergasted. "Where did you even....How....But....It's so... expensive..... What is going on? Did dad....? Did dad pay for this?"

"Don't you dare speak of your father right know. You know very well he would never pay for it." She said while wiping her tears.

"Well, Liam. I wasn't aware this was a surprise. Congratulations! You are getting your eyesight back! It is quite a pricey surgery, but be assured that you will be in great hands. The majority of our surgeries are in fact successful and the healing process is about two to three months." The doctor said. 

Liam bit his lip. What in the heavens is going on. This has to be a dream, he thought.

"Unfortunately, we will not be able to do anything about the acid burns around your eyes, but you will have your eyesight back though. We can't guarantee that your eyes will be completely stable. As you may know, the eyes of visually impaired people do tend to wander around. Therefore, we cannot guarantee that they will stop wandering around after the surgery, but we can almost guarantee that you will have your vision back." 

"I....I don't care. I wasn't even expecting any of this. I am happy with anything. I am in absolute shock." Liam said. 

"Alright, well now that you heard all the warnings and everything, let's get to it. I'm going to hand you this gown and you can go ahead and change. As for your mom I'll have her wait in the waiting room and as soon as you're all change we will head to the surgery room." 

Liam's mom stood up and sandwiched Liam's hand in her on and then she cupped his face and kissed his forehead. "I love you so much my little baby. I am sure the surgery will go perfectly. Take care and I'll see you later." A couple tears fell from her eyes as she kissed his forehead with all her love hoping that her only offspring comes out healthy from surgery. 

"I love you mom. Thank you for this gift." Liam said hugging her back. 

Liam changed into his gown after everyone left. He could not believe what was going on.

There was a knock at the door and the doctor came in.

"You ready Liam?" He asked.

"Ready," Liam replied. "Actually, I have one request before I go under."

"Yes of course." The doctor said.

"Can you look through the file and see who has paid for this surgery?" Liam asked. 

The doctor looked through the file. "It says here that the person who paid for this surgery is under the last name of: Malik."  

Liam bit his lip and held in his tears. He swallowed the lump in his throat. 

Zayn Malik.

Zayn Malik had paid for his multiple-thousands of dollars surgery. 

Zayn....

"Are you ready? Let's go." The doctor said as he held the door open for Liam. 

_____________

A/N: *insert massive apology for how late I've updated this story* But seriously. I am so sorry. Especially to those who have been waiting since 2016 for an update. Goddamn. I'm sorry I left you all hanging and reading an uncompleted story. That's like... That's some evil shit in my part. I'm sorry. Everyone probs forgot about this book, but its okayyyy. I'll try to finish this book for me because I gotta finish this projecttttt. 

But yeah, I had given up on writing this story as it had been so many years of it being untouched and I got 100% uninspired, but then yesterday at like 12am I started to re-read it to attempt to get inspired to finish it, so here I am. Finishing it. Once and for all. (Maybe. Can't make any promises because I'm the worst updater that there is.) 

PS. I'm aware that there is no such surgery to get your vision back after being blind, but this is a fictional story soooooo..... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ fuuuuuck it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯