one

Blind Love

chapter one:

hello friend,

it’s liam here. my tutor told me that i should write a journal or letters to a friend as she prefers, to practice my braille, i do not like practicing my braille. braille is hard, friend, it’s harder than how you write. you say your hand hurts when you write your handwriting and you complain about how long writing takes and that you’d rather type, but you have not experienced pain until you write braille. you see some more fortunate disabled people have their fancy little braillewriters or computers slash typewriters in your world, but since i’m more misfortunate i get to write with a slate and stylus or a pen and paper in your world, which takes patience and hard work. anyways, a plus side to today is that it’s the beginning of my last year in high school, which means that next year i get to go to a learning facility instead of college which means i get to be around non-judgemental people, hip hip hooray! let’s hope today goes well. xx

your friend, liam

//

“Rise and shine, sunshine,” Liam’s mom cheerful voice filled Liam’s ears.

Liam refused to get up and he hinted at this with a groan.

“C’mon Liam, it’s your first day of senior year, your last year, don’t you want to start it off with getting to the bus on time?” Liam’s mom encouraged.

“Not r’lly,” Liam jumbled up the words with his sleepy voice.

“Suit yourself, sleep more and get ready in three minutes and look like a zombie, or get up now and look like a prince,” Liam’s mom said and Liam although blind could tell she was smirking.

“Not very convincing,” Liam said smirking back.

“Excuse me?” Liam’s mom laughed and then added, “Get ready, sweet heart, we’re leaving in thirty minutes.”

            After what felt like hours of weighing the pros and cons of sleeping more, Liam finally got up. He got up and didn’t have to use his white cane as he was used to his own room and home. Liam was greeted by licks of his golden retriever guide dog, Leon. Leon was a Christmas gift from Liam’s mom to him, Liam knew that his mom could never in a million years afford a dog let alone a guard dog and Liam was more than grateful.

            “Morning to you too, Leon,” Liam smiled and walked slowly to the bathroom.

            “Woah! Careful!” Liam’s mom said, unaware that she had left a wire from the clothing iron on the floor. She mentally facepalmed herself, she always got very stressed around Liam because she never wanted him to get hurt and when she left things lying around that Liam couldn’t see, she hated herself.

            “It’s okay mom, I’m walking slowly, don’t stress.” Liam said, he’s lived long enough with his mom to realize how much she stressed over him.

            His mom sighed and mumbled, “I just don’t want you to get hurt on your first day…. Or ever.”

            “Good luck, sweetheart, I love you, call me if anything goes wrong,” His mom placed a gentle kiss on Liam’s forehead and ruffled his hair playfully, “Go get them.”

            “Love you.”

            Here we go; you got this, only ten month of this hell. You got this Liam.