Happy Birthday, Professor

As December ended and January began, your classes began to increase in difficulty. This wasn't a problem for you, having already taken the classes without slacking the first time. But for your classmates, this period of time made it clear to them whether they were keeping pace with the course or if they had begun to fall behind. Those that cared began to worry about the upcoming O.W.L.s and some sought you for extra tutoring to help them catch back up in the class.

Tutoring your classmates would help to refresh your memory because, lets face it, you slacked off in your classes when you could, having taken them already. So you happily agreed to help them out, so long as they payed the price of a snack. But because you had to spend time helping others, the amount of time spent in the Potions room with Professor Snape had dwindled. Although it didn't seem like much, just being in the same room working on separate things, that time was really precious to you. You couldn't help but feel a bit down.

One night, on your way back to the common room after just finishing another study session, you happened to overhear a few professors chatting as the crossed the hall. Normally you wouldn't pay any mind to their gossip, but this time you happened to hear something that interested you.

"It's his birthday soon isn't it?"

"Severus's? In three days I believe."

The rest of their words were drowned out by the silence that filled your head. Three days? That's the ninth. You hadn't known his birthday, and as you stood frozen in the middle of the hallway you felt grateful for the gossiping professors. Only three days until his birthday. You would have unknowingly missed it if you hadn't overheard them. He wasn't the type of person to just say, "hey, its my birthday today". 

You felt a wave of excitement rush over you as you hurried back to your room to think up a present to get him. A present. You scratched your head in frustration; it was Hogsmeade all over again. You still didn't know what the man liked. Granted, you had seen him wearing the scarf you bought for him, which had brought some blush to your cheeks and a warm feeling in your chest, but you couldn't just give him another scarf. 

You plopped into bed, and tossed around for a bit, trying to think of something to get for him but with no luck. Eventually, you told yourself you'd figure it out tomorrow and fell asleep. Early the next morning before breakfast you rushed up the West Tower to the Owlery with a letter in hand. Shivering in the cutting winds you gave the letter to your owl and sent it off, hoping that it would come back in time.

Written on the letter was a simple shopping list : a simple muggle birthday card, and some of your favorite snacks and tea. You weren't too sure what he liked but he seemed to share your great taste in teas so you decided to splurge a bit and get your favorite tea. You only bought it once in a blue moon due to its costs but it was well worth the price. As for the card, you and your friends had once spent hours browsing through the card aisle in one of those large muggle shops. Most of them were quite cheesy and you all had started sending them to each other on your birthdays. You figured it wouldn't hurt to get him one as well; a new experience maybe. 

~~~~~

Putting his pen down, Professor Snape looked up from his work to peer at you, wondering what you were doing. You had set up a blockade of books on the desk as you set up his presents. Unfortunately you hadn't gotten the chance to prepare them earlier on and had to resort to sneakily doing so in the potions room. As you finished, you glanced over the wall of books, making eye contact with him. You smiled at the sight of his furrowed brows which only served to make the man more confused.

"Happy birthday, Professor!" You said, picking up a platter with a hot cup of tea, some snacks, and the birthday card.

His eyebrows shot up in surprise. "You- How did you know that today was my birthday?"

"Heheh," you sheepishly rubbed the back of your head, "I overheard some of the other professors talking about it a few days ago. I wasn't sure what to get you but I hope you like it."

The edges of his mouth raised a bit as he looked down at the gifts. Picking up the card he asked, "what's this?"

"Oh, that's a muggle birthday card. They write notes in them and give them to others during special occasions. I couldn't really think of anything witty to write though, my friends are better at that part." You both looked at the card which featured a Saturday morning cartoon character that neither of you recognized. Hmm, bad choice, mum.

"Well, never mind that. This is the real present!" You said, pushing the plate of tea forwards.

Taking a sip, he nodded his head in approval. "Good tea." You smiled in reply, happy that he liked it. 

"It should be! That's my favorite kind. I only ever buy it for special occasions."

"Well, pour yourself some and take a seat. No matter how good the tea is, it's always better with good company." Saying that, he smiled at you, making your heart flutter in excitement. It's a good thing that tea helps soothe the heart and mind.