8.

Once Harry arrived at the Burrow, he immediately saw Mrs. Weasley who was knitting what seemed to be one of her famous jumpers. Harry smiled, reminding himself of his first Christmas at Hogwarts. He loved that woman the way he would have loved her mother, hadn't she passed away. Even though he had told Fred he was going to see Ginny, he needed to talk to her mother in the first place.

  - Harry, dear ! she welcomed him. It's so nice to see you. What are you doing here so early ? I thought Ron was at Grimmauld Place.

  - He is, indeed. He came to check on Hermione so I...came to talk to you.

  Harry couldn't get the words out of his mouth. He wasn't afraid of Molly Weasley's reaction, no ! He was afraid of what Ginny would think. Being his girlfriend, Ginny didn't want her parents to find out about them. Anyway, Harry didn't want to lie to the woman who had always cared for him. Molly invited him to sit next to her on the couch, giving him a loving yet preoccupied look.

  - What's going on, Harry ? Has something happened ?

  - No, I mean, er... There's something I want to tell you, because I can't keep lying to you...or myself. I...I'm in love with Ginny, Mrs. Weasley, and...she doesn't want me to tell you that, but we are in a relationship.

  To his surprise, the woman in front of him burst out laughing. Harry looked at her in shock.

  - W-what are you laughing at ?

  - Sorry I hurt your feelings, Harry dear, she giggled. I already knew ! You two are just as obvious as Fred and Hermione !

  - You knew about them, too ?

  - Of course, Harry... I'm not that old, you know !

***

  Ron was sitting in an armchair, in Harry's living-room. In front of him were his brother Fred and his best friend Hermione. Ron's ears were bright red in both shame and anger. He had ridiculously shouted earlier and now he sat there, shamefully waiting for explanations.

  - So, he started. How long has it been going on ?

  - Not so long, actually, answered his brother. We got together after...well, after she saved my life.

  - I really tried not to hurt you, Ron, and I...

  - It's alright, Hermione.

  His best friend was sobbing in front of him and because of him. She didn't want to do him wrong and he had shouted at her. He felt bad. Really bad.

  - I promise I wanted to tell you, she said. It's just...it's been quite a surprise for me too, you know ? I... I don't know how to handle those situations. 

  Ron's eyes opened wide to Hermione admitting she didn't know something. She had always been this know-it-all to him, and even though he pretended like he didn't care, he loved that she always had an answer ready for any of his questions. Only this time, she didn't have any. 

  - Yeah, Fred continued, it just kinda...happened, I guess. 

  Fred's arm was resting on the couch, behind Hermione's shoulder, and Ron could tell his brother wanted to put his hand on her shoulder so bad. Maybe that's what made him so angry : you couldn't deny the sparks flying between these two. They had this way of looking at each other, as if they were linked in a way no human being could fathom. Ron knew he never had – and never would have – such a relationship with Hermione. He simply wasn't the one for her. He understood that, and he also understood that he had to move on.

  - I'm sorry I got mad, he finally whispered. It's just...

  - You don't have to explain yourself, little brother, we should've told you.

  Even though he knew Fred meant no harm and only wanted to comfort him, he was – once again – reminded of how little he was compared to him. Fred was only two years older than him and yet it seemed like there was this huge pit between them. He used to love Fred, he even admired him. Now he was just the representation of everything he would never be and have. 

  - Don't call me that.

  - Ron, I'm sorry, I-

  - Save it. (Ron had to breathe out for quite a long time before finally speaking again.) Look, I'm sorry I got mad. I have to accept the fact that my...feelings aren't shared, here. I know that now, and I won't bother you guys again.

  He turned around, ready to leave and trying not to pay attention to Hermione's crying.

  - Ron, wait, please.

  Fred joined him in the hallway, right before he opened the door.

  - You're still her best friend. You know that, right ?

  Ron looked into his brother's eyes, and he saw actual concern about Hermione's well being. Maybe them dating wasn't such a bad thing after all.

  - Yeah, I know. And I'll be there for her...eventually.

  - Look I know it must hurt.

  - How would you know that ? (Ron was slowly losing his temper.) You're not the one who has to watch the girl he's in love with being with another guy.

  - No, but I was that guy, Ron, he calmly explained. How do you think it felt, watching her all this time, way out of reach from me ? Damn it, I still have no idea why she picked me ! (He placed his hand protectively on his brother's shoulder.) You'll find someone, Ron, someone who will love you as much as I love her, I can tell you that. Just because you haven't found her yet, doesn't mean you won't. You deserve someone who loves you.

  Ron looked down at his feet, slightly uncomfortable. His brother had always been better at this than him : he hated talking about his feelings. Still, Fred's words were nice to hear.

  - You really think so ?

  - Trust me, I know so. 

  Ron looked back at his brother and his genuine smile. Without any further warning, Fred pulled him into a hug. Damn, nearly dying had made him really more emotionally opened, it seemed. Ron awkwardly patted his back before pulling away and finally leaving the house. Once he was outside, he closed his eyes and took a few breaths before apparating to the Burrow.

  Still at Grimmauld Place, Hermione had stopped crying when Fred came back.

  - I tried to reason him a little.

  - I know, I heard.

  Fred froze as he sat next to her and placed his hand on her shoulder.

  - What part ?

  - All of it.

  A faint smile appeared on Hermione's face as she looked up to her boyfriend. 

  - I picked you because you're simply the best, Fred. And I think you're funny, and wicked smart. So now you can stop asking yourself why.

  Her cheeks turned to red as she looked back at her knees. Fred couldn't help but gently grab her chin and make her look at him. 

  - I love you, 'Mione, you know that ?

  - I do know, she chuckled. I love you too.

  She leaned in and kissed him lovingly. Part of her wondered how she could've waited so long to take the leap. She knew she was in love with Fred – actually, she'd known for a while. But he was Ron and Ginny's brother, and she didn't want to get into anything complicated. Truth is, it was too scary. This was uncharted territory for her, and she still had no idea how to act around him or how to show him she was happy he was here. Hearing him talk to Ronald, she realised one thing : he was as scared as she was, and somehow, that comforted her. At least, she wasn't alone. She would never be.