2.

The battle was finally over, and Fred couldn't believe it. The Dark Lord and the Death Eaters had been defeated. It could have been perfect, but Hermione hadn't woken up yet. Fred was feeling guilty. She was unconscious because she had saved his life, risking her own for him. Why had she done that ? Why hadn't she stayed with Ron and Harry ? Couldn't she let him die ? Didn't she want to live ?

  He had been holding her hand since she was lying in the Great Hall, and Ronald didn't seem to like it.

  - It's okay, I'm here. You can leave her and go away now, Ron growled.

  Fred didn't answer, still looking at Hermione's asleep face. Was she going to wake up ? He stayed there, holding her hand and not paying attention to his brother's killing look.

{...}

  Hermione was still at the place where she had saved Fred's life, just a few minutes ago. She got up slowly and noticed her horrible headache. She felt weird : where were the others ? She ran towards the castle's yard : it was empty, and so were the corridors. She decided to go to the Great Hall. She saw Luna and Neville, talking on a bench.

  - Neville ? Luna ? Where are Harry and Ron ? she asked them in a panicked voice.

  No answer ? Odd. Well, Neville seemed to be hypnotised and Luna had always had her head in the clouds. She saw a group of red-haired people : they were leaning over someone. She started panicking : who was it ? A tear rolled on her cheek, she ran towards them and she cleared her way between George and Ron. They hadn't even noticed her.

  There was a girl lying on the floor. Some hair were hiding her face but she easily recognised her : she was looking at herself. She was lying there, motionless. How was it possible ? She stood in front of the boy who was holding her hand. Fred.

  - Fred ?

  He didn't move. Had she become a ghost or something ? No, she couldn't be...dead. Fortunately, Mrs Pomfrey arrived. The nurse threw a sad look at Hermione (well, at her body) then looked at Molly Weasley.

  - Any sign ? she asked.

  - No, said Molly, squeezing her husband's arm.

  A sign ? Maybe Hermione could give them one ! She focused on her left hand, and tried to close it. Nothing happened. She tried again, plunging her nails in her skin. She knew it had worked because of Fred : his eyes had become...less empty.

  - She squeezed my hand ! he said, his voice full of hope.

  - She's conscious, she's trying to let us know it, explained Mrs Pomfrey. It's a good thing, of course, but it can also mean that she...can't come back.

  Fred's eyes lost their light once more, and Harry ran towards the exact place where the "conscious" Hermione were standing. She fell through her best friend. She was surprised, but she hadn't felt anything. Curious, she put her hand on Harry's shoulder : she couldn't touch him. Her hand went through him.

  She gave up touching him and looked at the Great Hall. Bodies were hidden under white clothes. Mrs Pomfrey was still healing wounded people. She couldn't see any Death Eater.

  She wandered in the castle's corridors and her steps lead her in front of the entrance of the Headmaster's office. She faced the gargoyle and approached it. She didn't need any password : it moved away and let her climb the stairs. Hermione entered the room and looked at all the books there were in there, amazed. Suddenly, a calm voice interrupted her contemplation.

  - Miss Granger ! What a pleasure ! What are you doing here ?