Chapter 36 - The cost

Chad's POV

I was sitting in the armchair in the study room, my elbows resting on my thighs while waiting for my father to finish his conversation on the phone. After the police station, I came with them to the mansion. My father told me that he wanted to talk to me.

After hanging up the phone, he said. "I don't want you to stay in your penthouse. You are going to stay here with us." He entwined his hands on the desk. "And I think you got your lesson. You don't need to work to pay the money back. This is enough. I want you to work in the company with me." He said confidently. "I will not let you out of my sight." He added.

"Is there any point to protest?" I asked sarcastically.

"No." He replied firmly.

"Ok, then." I said as I stood up.

I was tired of everything. Even arguing with my father. It was meaningless. In the end, he would get what he wanted at all costs. This time the cost that I paid was the possibility of being with Elise. He wasn't aware of that while he wanted to give me a lesson, he ruined my life, my happiness. Now nothing was important.

"If you finished, could I leave? I need to rest. I am so tired." I said.

He nodded. "Yes, go and rest." He said. "And tomorrow you are coming with me to the company. Be ready." He added. I sighed, bored and nodded.

I woke up to the sun rays hitting my face. I rubbed my eyes, yawning.

I was staring at the ceiling as my memories with Elise were running through my mind. I missed her so much. I missed waking up next to her, holding her in my arms, feeling her warmth against me, falling asleep while cuddling with her.

I ran my hand through my hair as I closed my eyes. My heart was aching. I felt desperate without her.

My phone rang, interrupting my thoughts. I sighed and grabbed it.

"Yes?" I snapped.

"Are you okay, bro? What happened yesterday? You are in magazines." Sean said as soon as I picked up the phone.

"What magazines?" I asked as I sat up.

"You and Elise are in magazines. Didn't you see them? They say Elise cheated on her boyfriend with you. That he had found out about it, and you got into a fight for Elise." He informed me.

"Damn it!" I hissed as I ran my hand through my hair angrily.

"I will call you later, Sean." I said and hung up instantly.

I searched for the news about us on the Internet.

Shit!

They said that Elise played with both of us. Elise had a fling with me while she was in a relationship with Chris and other nasty things about Elise. There were plenty of comments under articles: calling Elise whore, slut, cheater, gold digger and other bad words, writing that she used me, etc. I clenched my fist as I read them.

I called my lawyer and told him to send a statement and of course, demand apology over the fake and disrespectful news about Elise and me.

Elise's POV

I couldn't have left the house since yesterday. There were a lot of paparazzi in front of the mansion. I didn't even check my Instagram account today; yesterday there were plenty of rude comments under my photos: calling me with bad words: whore, cheater, slut, bitch; treating me to stay away from Chad, stopping using him, telling me that I was after his money, or I wanted to get attention and so on.

I was sitting on the couch, staring into space. I didn't feel well. I felt nauseated and dizzy. I couldn't eat anything this morning, after placing a piece of my breakfast into my mouth, I rushed into the bathroom and vomited.

 I couldn't eat anything this morning, after placing a piece of my breakfast into my mouth,  I rushed into the bathroom and vomited

"Hey, dear." Katy interrupted my thoughts as she greeted me.

"Hey." I muttered.

"How do you feel? Your mother told me you didn't feel good." She asked, concerned as she sat down beside me.

"A little better now." I mumbled.

"Did you see magazines?" She said, giving me a slight smile.

"What now? Another article which calls me an attention seeker or a slut." I said sarcastically as I ran my hand through my hair, ruffling it.

"Nothing like that. Look." She said as she handed me her phone.

I sighed and grabbed her phone. My eyes widened in surprise as I looked at the screen.

"See, the magazines apologize to you over the fake news about you and Chad." She said happily. "It is Chad who made them apologize. And he didn't deny your relationship either, he stood behind you as a real gentleman. He really loves you and cares about you, Elise." She added.

I bit my lower lip, thinking. Why does everything get difficult?

I threw the phone onto the couch as the wave of nausea hit me and rushed into the bathroom, covering my mouth with my hand. Katy followed me. She held my hair back while I was throwing up.

After vomiting, I washed my face. I didn't feel well. My legs were weak. I placed my hand on the sink counter for support, leaning against it while my other hand was resting on my stomach.

"You look pale. Come on, you should lie down." Katy said, concerned. I nodded.

She wrapped her arm around my shoulder. I leaned against her as we walked out. She helped me to lie down on the couch.

"I will inform your mother." She said.

"No, don't tell her. It is from stress." I stated.

"But..."

"Please, Katy." I cut her off. She nodded, giving me a disapproved look.

"Elise...." She bit her lower lip as she gave a curious look. "Are you sure it is related to stress?" I gave her a questioning look. "Maybe there is mini Chad or Elise." She said, amused, pointing to my stomach. I gulped nervously and looked at her, stunned.