Chapter 1

The smell of cheap coffee and stale pastries filled my senses as I sat, surrounded by friends, in the coffee shop that we spent most of our free time in. Paul ripped open a sugar packet and shook it into his coffee. "So Maya, how are things with Daniel." He asked.

I smiled, "Pretty good." Today was just any average day, where we sat around and shared the latest gossip.

George looked up from his biscuits, "How long have you been together now?"

"A couple months." I answered.

"And do you see it going anywhere?" Ringo asked.

"Well, I don't know... I really like him though."

"Is he good in bed?" John asked with a smirk.

I scoffed, "Wow John, what does that matter?"

"I'll take that as a no." He continued smirking and I rolled my eyes.

"Sex isn't everything, and besides it's none of your business."

He continued smirking and sipped some of his coffee. "I disagree. If you aren't satisfied with someone sexually then the relationship is pointless."

"That's easy for you to say, you've never been in an intimate relationship, so you wouldn't know any different."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"You're a man slut John, everyone knows it."

Paul nodded, "She's right y'know."

John rolled his eyes but stayed quiet.

I sighed, "How come we don't have any other girls in our group. I need some girl friends."

"No you don't, anything you can do with a girl you can do with us." Ringo said.

I shook my head, "No, there's definitely a difference."

"Hey, if we had any more girls in our group, John would just sleep with them." George said.

We all laughed except John who just shrugged and nodded.

Paul smiled, "You don't do well with girls anyway, Maya."

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"Well remember back when we were kids and you were friends with that girl Holly. You scared her away because you thought it would be funny to shove a lizard down her shirt." Paul and I had been friends since I was four. He's a year older than me, but our parents were close friends, so we wound up like siblings.

I chuckled, "It was funny, she just didn't have a sense of humor about it, that's not my fault."

"You're just different than most girls that's all." George pointed out. Paul and I had met George in school, and we'd been friends with him ever since.

"But you fit in fine with us." Ringo added. He was the last to join our friend group, but he fit in perfectly as well.

"Yup, just one of the guys." Paul joked.

John snorted, "Yeh, a guy with tits."

My jaw dropped and I punched him in the arm, "John! What's wrong with you?" The boys all chortled and I rolled my eyes. John corrupted Paul as soon as they met. I didn't mind all that much, I was just as good of friends with John as I was with any of the other boys, but his bluntness still surprised me sometimes.

"Come on Maya, I'm only joking." He said, "But in all honesty, if Paul wasn't so hell bent on keeping you with the group, we would have outlawed girls and sent you packing."

I knew he was joking, so I ignored him, and sipped my coffee. It was just another day in the life. Things were simple, I had a boyfriend, four great guy friends, a decent job as a high school teacher, and I was content. Things were almost too perfect, and I had the sneaking suspicion that they weren't going to stay this way for long.

Suddenly I remembered something, "Oh, Paul!." He gave me his attention and I continued, "Lily is having her engagement party on Saturday, and she wants you to come."

"Lily's engaged? I'd love to go." My older sister Lily was also close with Paul, seeing as she grew up with him too. She was somewhat friendly with George and Ringo as well, but she never really liked John, she thought he was bad for me. I decided not to invite George and Ringo, just so I wouldn't have to exclude John, he didn't know Lily hated him.

"Lily? Your hot sister? To bad someone locked that down before I got a crack at her." John said. My eyes widened and I hit him once again.

Before I could say anything I heard Paul's voice, with a hint of anger, "I'd be a little less flippant with statement's like that if I were you." He warned. Paul was extremely protective over Lily and me.

George quickly shifted the subject and placed his hand on Paul's shoulder to calm him down, "Are you going to ask Daniel to go with you?" He asked, directing the question to me.

I nodded, "I don't see why not."

John nodded his head approvingly, "Good, you can't show up to an engagement party without a date, it's embarrassing."

"No it's not, I don't have a date." Paul said.

"That's cause you're too queer to find a bird to bring, Princess Paulie."

Paul narrowed his eyes and I watched his fists clench, "I'm not queer John. You're an ass."

John shrugged, "I do my best." Paul rolled his eyes helplessly, he knew it was just John being John.

I stood up, "Well, I have an art project to plan, I can't keep telling my students to paint flowers, so I should go."

George and Ringo stood up too, they were roommates, and lived right across the hall from me, while John and Paul lived together in a different building. I was currently on the hunt for a roommate, but for now I was on my own.

George spoke, "We should get home too ay Ringo?"

Ringo nodded and I smiled, "Let's share a taxi then."

And with that we walked out of the coffee shop together, just like any other day... Little did I know, that my days were about to start getting a lot stranger.