1.56 HeShan's care

Start from the beginning

"Indefinitely!" HeShan answered very confidently.

"Scholars really have too much free time, don't they?" - she thought.

"But what about LanBai? She can't have both of her teachers leaving her at the same time, can she?"

"What do you mean 'both'?", it's HeShan's turn to blink at her in confusion.

YuLan was astounded, "What about Sun-laoshi?"

"I thought those two men are practically conjoined twins. I have never seen SunChen leaving his side apart from lessons... ."   

"What do you mean 'what about SunChen'? My decision is my decision alone, of course," HeShan waved his hand dismissively, letting out a low snort at her question.

YuLan felt a bad premonition inside her heart, "I cannot really convince you otherwise if you have decided for yourself... . But are you not going to at least tell Sun-laoshi that you are leaving... ?"

"... that you are leaving him?" - she completed her question inside her own mind.

HeShan just laughed incredulously at her cautiousness, 

"Chen is a grown man. I am a grown man. Why do I need to tell him where and when I want to go?"

"But!", he was reminded of something suddenly, "I must definitely say proper farewell to my master."

He stood, brushed some non-existent dust off his white robe, and grinned at the two dumbfounded young women,

"I will go to Master Wu's house now to seek for my master. Just tell Chen when he's done with his lesson that I have gone to see my master and will be back soon."

YuLan watched his figure walked out and disappeared beyond the door. She lightly scratched the back of her neck,

"If SunChen knows, I doubt he will let you leave by yourself... ."

----------------------------------------------

At Wu DanShao's residence, the two old scholars were drinking tea when HeShan arrived. Initially they were astonished to see him by himself, without SunChen tagging along. But when they heard that SunChen was in the midst tutoring Ji LanBai, they just nodded their heads in understanding and carried on drinking their precious tea.

Liu YangHuan's fingers stilled though, when HeShan told of his intention to leave with his disciple - Bai YuLan.

Some emotions were jumbled inside him. Granted, Liu YangHuan missed the peacefulness that was the absence of HeShan. Ever since HeShan and SunChen arrived back at the capital, constant calling cards from some noble houses - that had unmarried young maidens - constantly poured in. 

And Liu YangHuan and Wu DanShao only burnt them all.

At the end Liu YanHuan could only laugh,

"Very good! What a very good master! You definitely have to protect your disciple!"

"And begone from my list of troubles!"

Wu DanShao cautiously asked as he watched his good friend still laughing in high spirit, "So..., you obviously will go with Chen, right?"

"No, Old Master Wu, I have made the decision by myself. Chen has nothing to do with it."

Liu YangHuan and Wu DanShao only exchanged some glances, made more idle talk with HeShan, before the sun started to get dark, casting orange hue in the horizon.

HeShan stood from his seat and walked towards his master. He stopped a respectful distance and suddenly knelt.

Liu YangHuan almost spat his tea out.