Chapter 11

Derek Williams was as unpredictable as he was charismatic. Which is to say, not at all. Walking through the school's double doors I caught myself staring in his direction, not because I was obsessed, but because he stood there clear as day, casually leaning against my locker. He had his hands deep in his pant pockets and his head thrown back against the locker drawing attention to his prominent Adam's apple which bobbed up and down as he swallowed back whatever was obviously troubling him. His right foot slowly slid back and forth from toe to heel against the title floor as if he were debating if he should stay or go.

Against my better judgement I strode directly towards him with all the confidence I could dig up. I was determined to prove to Robin, to Derek and maybe even a little bit to myself that Derek meant as little to me as I so adamantly claimed.

As I neared the locker, however, I found my reserve depleting rapidly. I could always borrow a textbook from someone, I reasoned with myself. There was really no need to go to my locker right now. But as fate would have it I couldn't convince my feet to abort the mission and flee the scene before Derek saw me. Just as my nerve was about to permanently crack and before I could bolt my eyes met his and the deal was sealed.

I'm not sure what I expected to see when we locked eyes. Pity? Indifference? Anger? I think I'd anticipate anything other than this: pure and unfiltered nervousness. As far as I knew Derek had always reeked confidence in everything he did. Probably due to the fact that he was perfect at everything. Oddly, it was sort of reassuring. I felt the anxiety pressing against my rib cage release as instantaneous as when a popped balloon loses its air.

"I thought you might like this." He speaks up, hesitantly offering me a small...Victoria's Secret shopping bag; a detail that any other day would have struck me as odd.

"Uh...should I be expecting some lingerie?" I hesitantly reach out for the bag, peering inside the pink bag's contents. "A little soon in our relationship don't you think? I usually like to be asked to dinner first-" My anxious rambling cuts off as I remove the familiar fabric from its wrappings.

"It's-" My voice betrays me and the words lodge themselves in my throat.

"It's a Ramones tee. A new one. I noticed your old one was a bit worn out." He explains, gently rubbing the back of his neck.

I caressed the bundle in my hands. The shirt was soft and the colors were far more vibrant than the one my mom had given me only a few years ago now worn from overuse. "Why would you get me a new shirt?" I wondered aloud, my eyes still staring at the tee in awe. It was my mom and I's favorite band. We used to dance to their music in the kitchen when I was younger. It was one of my fondest memories of her. My eyes begin to lightly well.

"Look," He cleared his throat. My eyes rose to meet his, "I invaded your personal space, I took your favorite shirt and instead of helping you I think, I mean, I know I only made things worse. I didn't listen to you and I had the audacity to wonder why you would be so defensive. You asked me to leave you alone and I'm going to respect that even if leaving this alone is the last thing I want to do. Consider the shirt a part of a long overdue apology."

"Giving me presents doesn't just change everything you've done or how I feel about you." I say thickly, anger rising through me. Is this how Derek William tried to make his problems go away? By throwing money at it? "I can't just be bought."

Derek's eyes seem to acknowledge that too like he already suspected that was going to be my answer. He offers me a small, tight-lipped smile. "I wouldn't expect you to. It is just a gift. No strings attached. You're a good friend Michael. Robin is really lucky to have you."

Shooting me one last of his award winning grins from over his shoulder Derek walked away from me and his attempts at friendship. I'd be lying if I didn't say that in that moment my heart may have just ached a little, so small I nearly missed it.

I roughly exhale and begin to spin the dial of my locker, ignoring the shakiness of my hands. Leave it to Derek Williams to even fool my heart from right under my nose.

What a dick.

••• ••• ••• ••• ••• ••• ••• ••• ••• ••• •••

English class was by far my least favorite part of the day. Besides being the only class I didn't share with Robin the class was full of Elwood High's most obnoxious and least promising students. Which is basically my way of saying I couldn't bear the presence of a single person in the room. If I didn't find the class insufferable enough Derek Williams was the cherry on top of the shit sundae.

As Mrs. Morris lectured about the grammar rules she'd be testing us on next week's exam I directed my attention towards a more problematic issue and right now he was sitting dutifully at the front and center of the classroom. Seeing as how our last...encounter went I wasn't sure how to act around him. Should I ignore him completely? Shoot daggers at the back of the head? Meet him somewhere in the middle? And should I pretend that despite every fiber of my being a small part of me deep within the crevice of my mind wasn't celebrating?

I opt for the first choice. I could ignore this feeling. Eventually it would just die down. If anything I was just misreading the situation. There was no way, within such a small period of time, that I could have developed feelings for him of all people.

I shook my head. I need to focus. I fish out my pencil bag from my backpack and grab a gel pen. Tuning out all thoughts of Derek I begin to jot down notes.

"Today I want to introduce you all to your commentary assignment. Everyone is going to choose a partner and create a presentation on one of the three books we've read in class so far. The topic can be your choice but it must cover what I have outlined in this packet." She walks down the classroom aisles distributing the packets.

I internally groan. A partner? With one of these clowns? If I could get away with it I'd happily accept the big, fat F. I scan the classroom for a potential partner. Nick is probably one of the more hardworking people but by the look he's giving Melanie it looks like he already has his partner (and his wannabe date) figured out. Dylan is probably the laziest partner which could work out if I end up doing it all on my own and I just let him sign the project at the end. I turn towards the back of the room where the jocks have all clustered together. That's going to be a definite no. Returning my attention to the front of the room I realize that everyone else is already deep in conversation with who they have chosen to be their partner. I sigh and slump my head against my hand. I hate English class.

"It looks like we actually have an odd number of students this class period. Who doesn't have a partner?" Mrs. Morris calls out, a pencil and clipboard in hand.

Shyly I raise my hand slightly above my head.

"Would anyone be willing to volunteer to let Michael join their group?" She asks while taking notes of everyone's partner. Nobody stirs.

I look to Derek surprised that he didn't volunteer. Whether it was because he was actually trying to honor my wish to stay away or because he didn't want to associate with me I didn't know. Maybe if no one wanted me I could work alone, I thought.

"If nobody volunteers I will choose." Mrs. Morris threatens, giving each group a look daring them to challenge her. So much for that idea.

From my peripheral vision I spot Derek and his partner the evil and cocky Nathan bickering to themselves. It must have caught Mrs. Morris' attention too because she soon called out, "Williams! Dodger! Is there something you'd like to share with the class that can't wait?"

"As a matter of fact yes there is Mrs. Morris." Nathan smiles coyly, twisting in his seat to make eye contact with me. "We'd be happy to have Michael in our group."

Alarm bells start ringing in my head. "I object!" I exclaim, staring at the two boys with a dumbstruck expression.

"This isn't a courtroom Michael; it's a classroom. It is not up for negotiation. Derek and Nathan will make fantastic partners. Understood?" She stared pointedly at me.

My eyes drift towards the two football players. Derek's head has sunken pitifully into his hands while Nathan sneers gleefully at me. He has something in mind and if the pit in my stomach and the devilish glint in his eyes were any indication I wasn't going to like it. I don't know what cosmic deity I upset to deserve this kind of torture but they had it out for me bad.

"Understood." I gulp, my eyes still trained on Nathan.