Chapter 10

"Robin." I say absent mindedly. I lie down, sprawled across his Avengers comforter. I face the ceiling tracing the obscure shapes and patterns in its surface.

"Mhmm." Robin mumbles distractedly similar to how a parent might try to acknowledge their child when they don't want to be bothered. Sure enough when I glance in his direction his eyes remain glued to the screen in front of him as it begins to flood with zombies stumbling towards his avatar. Fake gunshots begin to fire.

"Robin." I repeat, slightly louder this time.

"Not now, Michael. I'm being attacked by a swarm of zombies." He explains irritably, moving his fingers swiftly across the handheld controller as his lips purse in intense concentration.

"Robin!" I scream, ignoring his pleads. Zombies are fictional but I had a real problem here and something told me that Robin may be partly responsible for that.

Startled by the sudden pterodactyl screech Robin's concentration momentarily fumbled. He watched in disdain as one by one zombies began to pile on top of his avatar until nothing but a tangle of decaying limbs and gushing blood could be seen. Dang it, Mikey!" He growls, slamming the controller onto the floor as the words Game Over flashed mockingly across the screen.. He jumps to his feet and charges towards the bed. "I was this close to beating that floor.This close. One minute. That was all I needed. One minute of some well deserved peace and quiet. Is that really so much to ask for?" He whines, crawling onto the bed. The mattress dips beneath with me as he swings his legs on either side of my hips and sits himself onto my lap.

"Get your fatass off of me or so help me I will set fire to your entire Wonder woman collection." I glare intimidatingly.

He raises a brow, contemplating the authenticity of my threat. "You wouldn't dare." He decides after a moment.

"You shouldn't challenge desperate people, Robin. I could do anything to get what I want." I warn him teasingly, feigning a glare under his questioning gaze.

Robin simply shrugs and smiles reassured. "I'm not worried. You're kind of known for being a coward."

"You are going to wish you hadn't said that."

"What? Why--?" Is all he manages to say before I shove one of his pillows roughly into his face, effectively distracting him.

"Nat!" I scream unabashedly. "Robin stole your Katy Prdarie CD." I muffle into the pillow he reflexively held over my head in an attempt to silence me.

"Seriously? Are you trying to get me skinned alive? Maybe she didn't hear you?" He murmurs glancing nervously at the door. "I swear if you get me killed I'm taking you down with me."

"Funny. Might be a little hard if you're already dead." I smirk.

"Ha. Ha. You must think you're hilarious." He mocked sarcastically, placing a finger against his lip signaling me to be quiet.

We both pause for a moment, holding our breath, listening carefully for any sign of his sister rushing towards his bedroom. Nothing could be heard but the soft rise and fall of our chests. I smiled and whispered, "Congratulations. You get to live to see another day."

"Hmph." He huffs, rolling his eyes. "No thanks to you." He settles beside me.

I shrug dismissively. "Desperate times call for desperate measures." I justify. I grunt, clearing my throat. Joking matters aside I had nearly forgotten what I intended to ask Robin in the first place. "Hey...you've been working for the athletic director for the last couple years haven't you? You know, part of your training for sports medicine."

"Yeah." His eyes narrows suspiciously. "It hasn't exactly been a secret. Is this the question that you just had to interrupt my game and threaten my life for?"

"Cammie is the athletic director right?" I ask, ignoring his questions. Right now it was my time to get some answers to some of the questions that have been troubling my mind as of late.

"Yes." He says uncertainly, almost as if he isn't sure if the answer I wanted to hear was what he was telling me.

"You see her every day for an hour after school." I realize aloud.

"Yes...I mean, we talk a bit." His eyes narrowed in suspicion.

"So wouldn't you...I don't know....Know her pretty well then?"

"Michael. Stop. I'm confused." He said shaking his head. "You aren't trying to get with Cammie are you? You know she's old enough to be your mom right?" He lowered his voice.

"What? No! No that's not what I'm trying to say at all." I gasp. Not only does my best friend still think I'm straight but now I'm also into older women? All things aside I guess I should have found it sort of amusing.

"I'm not judging if you are..." he rushed to defend himself. "Okay...maybe I am, but only a little bit."

"Robin."

"Yes?"

"She's Derek's mom." I mumble, a trace of disbelief lingering on my tongue.

"Who is?"

"Cammie. The athletic director. And I just ranted on and on about how much I disliked him straight to her face! Then, as if it wasn't embarrassing enough he told her everything about what was going on between us. She told me that they both don't hold anything against me? As if I did something wrong? And once I got thinking I realized you must have known. You knew didn't you?" I look him dead in the eye, pleading to be wrong.

"Mike how would I have known that? It isn't like she was parading around announcing that she's Derek's mom. I'm just as surprised as you are man."

I stare into Robin's eyes searching for any sign of dishonesty. Robin was just one of those people who couldn't lie even if their life depended on it. It just wasn't in his blood.

"I'm not lying to you." He smiles faintly at me, flicking me gently on the forehead as if to say 'don't be a dumbass Mikey'.

"I'm going crazy." I groan, running my hands roughly against my face. Maybe I could rub off all the irrational thoughts I have been having lately.

"You're not going crazy."

"Thanks-"

"You're already there." he smirks.

"You might be right about that." I murmur barely audible for even myself to hear it.  

-----------------------------------------------------------

AUTHOR'S NOTE

-----------------------------------------------------------

That is about as much as a filler chapter as we are going to get. I did just need to try to get back into the groove of things so I hope you're not too disappointed. <3