Chapter 4- Popularity

Song: Oceans Away

ARIZONA

My school; Edge Wood High. Of course you have the nerds and the Athletes but my high school is different compared to other ones, at least from what I've seen in the movies.

At Edge Wood you have the the popular kids but instead of there just being one big group of them, there are two.

Two groups fighting to be the most popular and I happen to be in one of them.

*********************************

When I entered the building of Edge Wood high I casually strolled over to my locker. The halls were now flooded with students laughing and talking about how their summers went.

Opening it, I put my bag inside and took out the contents I needed for the first few periods.

Familiar arms wrapped around me and I smiled. "Courtney?"

"Congrats, you guessed right!" I turned around and wrapped my arms around her.

"Ugh, it's been forever since I've seen you. How was Canada?" Courtneys parents and her are very big on traveling.

"You would've loved it!"

I frown. "I wish I could've came but I think a summer home is what I needed. It's time to start healing."

Courtney's smile brightens, "Your right. I predict that this year is going to be kick ass!"

I so badly wanted to believe her.

*********************************

The day has dragged on and every class felt at least ten times longer than it actually was. Once lunch rolled around I couldn't be happier to have a break from the rules of the year work sheets and everyone asking 'How was your summer?'

Scanning the cafeteria I found Courtney sitting with a few other girls apart of our so called 'group'. I don't really feed into the whole popularity thing, sure I'm friends with some of the popular kids and I'm considered popular but I couldn't care less. I think it's quite stupid actually.

Popularity shouldn't be about who can be the meanest to the 'not so popular kids' or who the prettiest is, it should be about who can be the nicest and most genuine. But sadly, it's never about that.

I sit down across from Courtney smiling slightly at her and grab a bagel from my book bag that had been left over from this morning.

"Lunch of champions, Char." Courtney snickers from the seat across me, sarcasm clearly intended.

I roll my eyes and take a bite out of my bagel. "Shut up, Court."

"Uh oh. Slut, Slutty and Sluttier, three o'clock."

My head turns towards the cafeteria doors but it's no shock when I see Mandy with her arms wrapped around two of the Jocks shoulders.

I scoff, annoyed and throw my bagel down onto the white paper it came in. "What's new."

"Dont let them get to you. Your better than them. We both are, and hey! What'd that bagel do to you?"

My recent hostility is now gone as I laugh at her comment.

"Isn't that Carson?"

"Reed?"

I look over at the two girls whispering at our table.