Chapter 8

Jamie POV

"Are you sure this is a good idea? I mean, we could get in serious trouble."

"What are they going to do, throw us out? They can only do that if we fail initiation, they can't do a thing with us until we're members. Don't worry so much Drew."

"Dude, I want to be closer to the top too, but are you sure this isn't going a little too far? I mean--"

"Just shut up and follow me."

I hear these two voices whispering, and once I realize what they're saying, my eyes are wide open. What are they doing? I slowly turn my head and see Peter and Drew sneaking across the room with what looks like a butter knife in Drew's hand. Peter holds his hand out, and Drew hands him the knife, then they stop, right in front of Edward's bed. It hits me what they're about to do, but I'm too late. The next thing I hear is a scream and I see the two boys run. After Edward's first scream, nearly everyone is up, and I'm the first one over there, trying to help him. Tris comes over, ready to help me as well.

"Jamie, what happened?"

"Hold on Tris. Edward, listen to me, I know it hurts, but you have to stop screaming so you can listen. Okay, I want you to take your hand off the knife."

"I can't!" he's nearly sobbing at this point.

"Yes you can. Look, you need to calm down. The more you freak out, the more this is going to hurt. I need you to calm down and sit still. Can you do that?"

He starts to calm down, slowly removing his hand from the knife. When I see that it's actually stuck in his eye, I nearly gag, and have to turn away.

"It's okay Jamie, I've got it."

I just nod and let Tris take over. I did as much as I can do, and I don't mind blood, but seeing the knife, and the fact that it's somebody I know, just about took me over the edge. Next thing I know, Eric and Four are running in there with a few other Dauntless, gathering up Edward and taking him to the infirmary.

Tris is covered in blood, and when they finally get Edward away, I think it hits her what happened. She nearly throws up, and Christina and I have to help her to the bathroom and get her cleaned up. While we are cleaning up, I tell the other two girls what I heard them saying.

"Jamie, you know what this means."

"Yeah."

"You need to be on the lookout. Edward was a step below you because you beat him once. That's the only fight he's lost, and you're undefeated. If they went after him, they will definitely go after you."

"It makes me wonder why they didn't come for me first actually."

"They've seen how you fight. They probably figured you would beat the crap out of them before they could do anything. Still, you need to watch your back."

She's right. I need to watch, but not only because of my top scores, but if anyone finds out I'm Divergent. I'm in danger no matter what.