Chapter 3

Jamie POV

CLANG CLANG CLANG

"Alright, everybody up and at 'em. First day of training starts in the Pit in ten minutes."

Ugh. I don't want to get up. After yesterday

being so full, I was sleeping like a baby. That is until Four decided to come wake us up by banging a pipe on a bed rail. Whether I like it or not though, we have to be down there in ten minutes, so I get up and get dressed quickly, trying not to think about the fact that I am changing in the middle of a room full of people. I know Tris is having a harder time with this than I am. I mean, she came from Abnegation, they're the people that have you covered from your neck to your toes.

When we get down to the Pit, I see Four standing at a table with a row of guns laying across it.

"Alright everybody, today you are going to learn how to shoot."

Four passes the guns out to us, and I'm not sure that's the best idea. The majority of us are yawning and about to fall asleep standing up.

"But what does bravery have to do with shooting a gun?", Peter says through a yawn.

The next thing we know, Four has his gun pointed at Peter's temple, who, I might add, is looking wide awake now.

"You're holding a loaded gun, you idiot. Act like it."

Peter nods fervently.

"And to answer your question, you'll be a lot braver if you know how to defend yourself. Anymore stupid questions?"

There's dead silence in the room now. Four nods, I guess happy, and begins to teach us how to hold the gun, aim, and shoot. The gun feels sort of strange in my hands. The fact that I'm holding an object that can change someone's life in less than a second is mind blowing.

When I actually begin to shoot the gun, I aim, and surprisingly hit the target. Granted, I didn't hit the bullseye, but at least I'm in the the first circle. That's more than I can say for most of the others. After a few shots, I look and see that Will and Christina have both hit their target once, Al is getting closer at least, but Tris is doing terrible. Will seems to have noticed as well.

"You know, statistically speaking, you should've hit the target at least once by now. Even by accident."

She just looks at him, rolls her eyes, and keeps trying to shoot. I notice that Four is paying a little more attention to her, and looks like he's itching to help her. Finally he walks over and watches a little closer, making her more conscious, and she starts to shoot a little better. He looks satisfied and walks off to check on everyone else. Finally, after a while of this, Four calls time.

"Alright, I think that's enough for today. Everybody seemed to be doing okay for their first time. You all feel pretty good with it?"
Everyone is mostly silent, but there are a few nods here and there.

"Great. Ok, everybody go to dinner, and get good rest. Tomorrow we meet in the training room. Time to start learning how to fight."

At this, a few people perk up, but I can see Tris almost back away. No wonder, with her being so small, she's going to get beat to pieces. Then again, I'm not exactly strong, nor am I very big, but I'm good at tactics. Maybe I can work my way out of danger.

As we head down to dinner, I start thinking of ways to survive a fight if I get matched up with somebody like Al, who is twice my size. I really think I'm probably going to die, but I'll figure it out.

I sit down with the group in the same place as yesterday, but Four has moved, probably not wanting to be bothered by us again.

"So, fighting. How do we think this is going to work out?" 

Will shrugs, apparently not too worried, but he's also a foot taller than me, and about fifteen pounds heavier, he's got nothing to worry about.

"Well, I mean it can't be too bad. You just have to find your opponent's weakness, and there you have it. What about you Al?"

"Honestly, I think it might be the only thing I'll be good at. I mean, I'm big enough, I can pretty much just sit on a guy and win."

I just shake my head and laugh.

"Tris?"

"Oh, I'm pretty sure I'm dead. I mean, look at me. I'm tiny, I'm from Abnegation, so I've never seen a fight, let alone actually been in one. I have no strength at all. I'm thinking this is going to be the part that I fail."

"Hey, I'll fail with you. I'm from Erudite, all I've ever done is memorize text books all my life."

Even though I know this is probably going to be tough for me, I'm still thinking of ways around it. If I can get through this without dying, then I'll be fine. Maybe Will is right, just find the weak spot. Maybe it is just that easy.