Chapter One

He couldn't remember what happened, all he remember was feeling as if he was drowning. Gasping for breath like a thirst he couldn't quench, clawing at his throat as if more openings would allow easier passage of oxygen. Though as he withered and writhed on the cold ground, he didn't notice a glowing green cloud releasing from his mouth, curling and licking at the air as nails dug harsher into a pale throat, blood gathering under each harsh scratch.

Was he dying?

No, he couldn't! He was going to become a hero! He was going to best All Might!

As his own blood coated his thin fingers, relief rushed over his form as if he had suddenly emerged from the depths of the ocean gasping for breath. His hands trembled as he removed them from his throat, crimson as thick as paint had coated his fingers as his emerald eyes widened in horror. His trembling hands pressed to his throat as he looked around the alleyway he had stumbled into, slowly pushing himself to his feet as he kept his head down and ran home.

The dark sky was faintly decorated with white dots that glowed dimly as he opened the front door to his house quietly, breathing heavily as he trudged to the bathroom. Grabbing a cloth and wetting it as he wiped his hands and cleaned away the drying blood on his throat and clothing. A pain shot through his chest as he unknowingly held his breath, brows scrunched together as he shakily breathed in. His eyes fluttered open, having not realised that he had closed them, emerald eyes meeting his own in the mirror as he marveled at the faint wisps of green escaping his lips.

Momentarily forgetting to clean his throat as his fingers gently touched his lips, the wisps curling around his fingers before disappearing. He had a quirk. He wasn't useless. He could be a hero.

His chest fluttered with hope as he quickly rummaged around in the bathroom draws for bandage before wrapping them securely around his throat. He had to tell Kaachan, maybe he wouldn't think so little of him now. Maybe everyone wouldn't think so little of him. He could do this, he could prove everyone wrong.

That he's not a quirkless dreamer.

He packed up the items he got out and went to his room, quietly shutting the door he stripped down and changed into a loose shirt and boxers. Sliding under the covers of his bed as the posters, figurines and other All Might related items scattered around the room, inspired him with a greater spark that fueled his hope for becoming a hero. His eyelids grew heavy and fluttered shut, clutching onto his pillow as he let himself succumb to unconsciousness.

He woke to the blaring of an alarm in his ear as he begrudgingly sat up and turned off the alarm, rubbing his eye as a yawn parted his lips. He flicked off his covers, stretching his arms above his head and hearing a satisfying pop from his joints. He pushed himself to his feet as he let his feet drag him to the bathroom for a quick shower before school, though he'd probably need one later that day.

After showering, Izuku dried his hair and quickly dressed in his school uniform, packing his bag before running down the steps and out the door, waving to his mother as he began his trek to school. On the way there his fingers gently brushed over the bandages around his throat, stomach twisting in uneasiness that he shrugged it off as he steps through the school gates. His gaze stuck to the ground as he hurried to class, sitting in his seat as he rests his arms on the dirty desk, head on his arms as he watched as other's chatted to their friends.

Friends. Friend.

He hadn't had one in a long time.

How many years had it been?

It didn't matter.

He flinched as he was hit in the head as a boy walked past, laughing with his friends as the bell rang. The teacher came into the room as he droned on about something and he couldn't focus on the words that were being spouted as he heard the faint whispers of his classmates.