Chapter 17- The Gateway Arch

Magsimula sa umpisa

I clear my throat lightly and set the newspaper down, clearing those thoughts from my mind. I really need to stop being ridiculous. Thomas is just a friend. A temporary friend. 

We soon finish up our breakfast and small talk, and leave for the Gateway Arch, as our tour started as soon as it opened.

~

I was very happy that Tom and I purchased our tickets in advance, because the queue for people waiting to purchase tickets right then and there was quite long. Security wasn't much better, though. I felt as if I were in an airport. Alright, maybe that was an exaggeration, but still. 

It wasn't until after the long lines and after the security checks when Tom and I, along with a family of three, were led to a small pod, which would take us up to the top. The pod was a little small, in my opinion, but as all five of us were cramped in, we were assured that the ride to the top was only four minutes long at the most.

Tom and I sat on one end of the pod, on a small bench with our legs pressed together, a couple a little older than us sat opposite of us, and their daughter, who looked about four, was sitting on her mother's lap. 

"Is this your first time here?" The man asks us as the pod slowly starts to rise. He's an American by the sound of his accent, and his clothes and camera suggest he is a tourist, like ourselves.

"Yes," Tom and I speak at the same time. We smile lightly in each other's direction, but let it slide. 

"How long have you two been together?" The woman asks, a smile on her face as she looks at us.

Heat rises to my cheeks, and I can't seem to even protest. So Tom protests for me. Or, at least I though he was going to protest.

"Not very long, actually," he speaks with a friendly smile. "Funny story on how we met, actually. We met while traveling. So this is what we do for little dates. Just travel."

I gulp lightly and smile, going along with his totally ridiculous lie.

"That's so sweet," the woman speaks again. She soon brings up yet another different subject, but I don't listen. Tom can listen and talk for me. I can trust him to do that much. If anything, I'm sure he can lie and say I'm deaf or mute. 

I think of how high we must be by now. Glancing out the small window, it's hard to see at the moment. High, that's for sure. I gently reach over and link Tom's arm with mine. Wanting some comfort, but not wanting him to not be able to use his right hand if he needs to use it. He doesn't seem to mind. He just gives me a quick glance and a smile as the woman talks, and talks, and talks. For once Tom isn't the talker in this situation. 

Four minutes pass by quite quickly, and we are soon at the very top. 630 feet in the air, able to see 30 miles in each direction. On one side, if you looked out the window to the East, you can see the Mississippi River and Illinois. And if you look West, there is a breathtaking view of downtown St. Louis. And boy, did it take my breath away. This was the sort of thing that amazed me. Not some stupid rock. Large views of cities that included friendly looking neighborhoods, nice hotels, and joints where you can dance, drink, and dine. And, along with the fact that the other family was at the opposite window I was, and I had Tom to myself again, this was heaven to me. 

"It's beautiful," I say softly. Then I look to Tom. I look at his face, seeing the wonder in his eyes. And I wondered if my eyes looked that way when I looked out this huge window. And I wondered how his eyes looked when they met mine. I mean, I see them all of the time, yet they always seem to change. They can be grey-ish and cloudy, or bright like sapphires. You never truly get tired of looking at him. There's always something new. Always something that has changed.