The Date

A/N: This is actually what they look like (minus the ring on Lance's finger), so absorb it before you continue to read. Sorry if you pictured Lance's outfit differently, but I based it off of this. As always, have fun reading! Fair Warning: I've never been on a date, so I have no idea how this should go, and I'm writing this at like 2:00. AM. P.S. Last Chapter!! Yay!!!

     With a furious blush on my face, I walked through the door at the end of the hall.

***********************************************************************************************

     Keith stepped through his door at the same moment as I did, his face nearly matching his suit. He looked positively angelic, and his precious mullet never looked so perfect. His suit was red, of course, and it covered a gray shirt with a long black tie. The room was like almost every other room in the ship, black and white and gray walls with the occasional Altean-blue ornamentation, except it was nearly bare. In the center of the room, between us, there was a small fold-up table, just like the ones back on Earth. Two chairs faced each other, gazing over covered trays of food that smelled divine. Candles perched on various horizontal surfaces, including the floor. Other than the flickering flames, there was no light, but I didn't need much to see how beautiful Keith is.

     "Hi," he said, ducking his head adorably, one hand on the back of his neck.

     "H -hi," I said, still wonderstruck at the sight of him.

     "This is really nice," Keith said, gesturing to the table and candles.

     "Yeah." An awkward pause ensued. (Please tell me if that isn't the right word.) Suddenly, Pidge's voice crackled in my ear.

     "Lance! Pull out his chair for him!" she advised, and I moved to do so.

     "Here, sit," I said, pulling his chair away from the table. Luckily, it didn't screech against the floor. I smiled at him, trying not to grin. It kinda sorta maybe worked. . .? Look, I tried!

     "T-thanks." He was so flustered and cute. I kind of wanted to forget dinner and just kiss him until we both didn't know how to do anything else. No, Lance, I reprimanded myself. Date first. I firmly pushed that image out of mind and turned to the task at hand.

     Sitting down in my chair, I asked him the first thing that came to mind. "So, does your family have something you usually do before dinner? Like, do you say a grace, or anything?" Then I realized what I had said. NO, Lance, HOW COULD YOU?!?! The guy doesn't have family!! I tried to ignore my blunder.

     "No," Keith said. "Shiro and I kind of just ate pizza a lot. And plain celery. It was easy and cheap and enough to keep us alive. We ate on the couch, most of the time."

     "Oh," I said, grateful that he didn't bring up the whole 'my parents died' thing.

     "Why? Did yours?" he asked, but before I could answer, Hunk came sweeping into the room.

     "And now, the big reveal!!" he boomed, grinning. Happily, he swooped the lids off of our plates and we both gasped. It looked like mashed potatoes, steak, and garlic knots - my favorite food!!

     "Hunk, this is amazing!" I couldn't stop smiling. Keith thanked Hunk. 

     Before he left again, Hunk bent down near my ear and said in a very quiet, sincere whisper, "Just talk about food the whole time and everything will go well."

     "Thanks, buddy," I whispered back, but I didn't take it too seriously. Hunk could talk about food for days straight, but if all Keith ate was pizza and raw celery, I doubted he knew much about cooking, let alone a wide array of culinary delights. I took a deep breath, and I noticed Keith doing the same.

     "It smells SO good!" he exclaimed. "Nothing like that vile goo they've been serving us."

     I grinned at him. "Let's taste it, shall we? Which should we taste first? The steak, the potatoes, or the garlic knots?"

     "Let's try the steak," he said. I had guessed that he would choose the only thing on the menu that required a knife. We both unrolled our silverware from the napkins. Something extra fell out of my napkin, and when I looked closer, I saw that it was a little bundle of breathmints. There was a note stuck to them that said, "Just in case. -Pidge." A blush crept onto my face. I looked at Keith, and I could tell he'd recieved the same treatment. Of course that little gremlin had prepared us for that!

     Deciding to ignore that for the moment, I tried to cut a piece of steak. It wouldn't cut. Keith, of course, had already got a small sampler of each kind of food, but I was stuck here with this steak that wouldn't cut. I tried harder, trying not to look too desperate. This steak just felt so tough! Did Hunk overcook it? Am I just terrible with knives? Oh, no! It's my hands! They're shaking with nerves and I'll never be able to eat this delicious-looking steak!! 

     "Do you... need help with that?" Keith asked. I realized he'd been watching as I sawed my knife on the same spot over and over again.

     "Umm... no, I'm sure I can manage," I lied, trying not to let on that Lance, the cool, ninja, sharpshooter couldn't cut a piece of meat.

     "It's no trouble," he replied, rising. He came around behind me and rested his hands on the back of my chair. He took one look at my food and laughed. "You're trying to cut the BONE, Lance!!" He laughed some more. "Here." He put his arms around my arms, his hands on my hands, and moved my silverware to a different spot in the meat.

     I was frozen, looking back at him even though he seemed completely focused on what he was doing. When I realized that he was still talking, it was too late.

     "See? It's not that hard! Just, move your hands and-" he turned his head to look at me, and suddenly we were so close, I could feel his bangs brushing my forehead, lighter than a feather, but so much softer. I turned in my chair a little, not breaking eye contact, not making a sound for fear of ruining the moment. His hands loosened on mine, and I set my silverware down gently on the table, still looking at Keith.

     Then I kissed him, and everything I'd ever dreamed about came true.