"And you?"

"Me? What about me?"

"Are you trying to move on from your past?"

Noor was tongue tied. She was supposed to be leaving the past few months of her life in the darkest corner of her mind but it was easy said than being done.

"I know this isn't easy. I won't say just push it out of your system. That's not possible. But try to make peace with it Noor. Since the time you've come back you haven't talked to anyone about what you went through. Talk to me. Let it out. It will help you."

"I...I....Can't talk about it."

Noor took a shuddering breath.

"It's not something I want to revisit."

The the days away from her family roamed in front of her eyes. It was all dark. All grey. But just one faint memory of ocean blue eyes seemed to be some kind of solace. Like the only good in a mass of everything wrong. Noor shook her head. Good? really?

She came out of her haze when she felt Zarnab's hand on her shoulder.

"I feel my share of happiness in this world is over, Zarnab. I can't shake my past off my mind. It's too livid. I've changed. I can't trust people easily. I can't let myself to go deep into the good because this world never is good. There's always an underlying danger. People are not what they seem from outside. Everyone has got faces they are trying to hide. Life isn't what I used to think it is. Life is different."

Zarnab tried hard to conceal the pain written on her face. This wasn't the Noor she had left behind. This Noor was different. This Noor had seen the harsh realities of life. Her mother was right. Noor was robbed off more than anything else of her positivity. And Zarnab had no clue if they will ever get their old Noor back.

"But that doesn't mean I can't try to make my life work. I have to. Right? And I will. I will try to fight my demons. It won't happen overnight but I'm ready to give it a shot."

Noor dropped her head onto Zarnab's shoulder sighing, while Zarnab smiled lightly.

The silver lining wasn't lost. Not yet.

____________________________________

Massaging his temple with his fingers Rayyan sat down on the recliner in his room. Things were getting a lot more messed up now. Noor was the part of his thoughts he couldn't get rid of and he had stopped trying. It felt like as if the whole universe was plotting against him. He had no peace anywhere. Nothing seemed right. Pre occupied mind, lost interest in almost everything and a feeling of losing something he had no clue about were making it difficult for him to concentrate on anything. Haseeb was handling all the matters which needed his attention and he was thankful to him for this.

This wasn't the Rayyan the world used to know. For the very first time he himself was confused about his own self. What happened? How? When? Why? He didn't know but he had come to terms with this fact that he couldn't erase Noor from his thoughts. She was infused in his being and her thoughts were the only thing he could think of. Office, meetings, deals, new ventures, official parties, those occasional and once in a blue moon one night stands everything took a back seat in his life.