Chapter Nineteen

This trip would be the longest time he'd spent away from Rhonda in their six years together. After pondering that fact for a time, he realized that she was a grownup and had lived in the City her entire life. Still, his first instinct had been to hire armed bodyguards and to ring the building in concertina wire and guard dogs. He was fully aware that such a reaction was a childish impulse.

There were three errands he wouldn't neglect before leaving town, however. He arranged for a car service to deliver his girl to and from work. That was non-negotiable. Next on the list was stocking the fridge and prepping Rhonda's snacks five days in advance. Everything she loved was now there, in carefully marked containers. Finally, Tommy talked to the neighbors and to the building super, hoping that a short visit might induce everyone to be especially vigilant in his absence. It never hurt to get the village involved.

Otherwise, he piddled around doing a spot of work: he paid bills, called his delivery guy, Javier, to make sure things were in order, and made a few online purchases.

Rhonda was up from her second sleep at 5:00 on the dot. She already knew he would be out of town part of the week, but he informed her of his exact plans, his imminent departure, and the preparations that he had made for when he was gone. The car service was met with no objection, and five or more days' separation was something she took placidly. His safety was all that mattered to her, all that'd ever concerned her, and there was no doubt of that.

To make him feel better, she promised that she would have her sister and nieces over on her days off. That idea softened his angst. His worry was assuaged further when she pointed out his boots, where they'd been sitting in plain view next to the front door.

She wondered aloud whether he would be able to locate California on his own. "Meh. It takes up most of the west coast. You'll probably find it eventually."

He had his boots. Humiliation was a fair exchange for worry.

After dropping his girl at work and grabbing a quick bite, Tommy returned home, double-checked the apartment, locked up, and went upstairs through the shop. Along the way, he double- and triple-checked that everything he needed for the trip was in his pockets, including some papers and keys. Beside his regular attire, he brought along a thick leather jacket. It had deep internal pockets in which he had stowed odds and ends he might need for his trip. There would be no space for luggage on this flight.

From the shop, he went up to the roof, a little paradise to which only he and Rhonda had access, and waited. The wooden deckchair, one of a pair they used when cooking out or tending their tiny garden, was comfortable, yet, it took all his patience to remain still.

After what seemed forever, the sun set and the air cooled. He pulled on the leather jacket and fastened it up. Taking a thorough look about with all his senses, he ascertained none could see him. With a simple push, he shot into the air, gained altitude, and set a course west at an astonishing speed.