Chapter Five

Rhonda's shift had been its typical bustle until around midnight, with the usual cuts, falls, burns, and breaks, but no fatalities. There had been only one pressing emergency.

At just past 11:00, EMTs brought in a man who they said had tried to shoot a police officer. The man, an Anglo in his middle 30s, looked like he'd been thrown off a five-story building.

Rhonda passed no judgment. The police from the local precinct were regular visitors to the ER, and she knew most on the night shift by name. Given the hospital's clientele, and the amount of prescription narcotics on site, she was glad there usually were a few on hand conducting business.

About five minutes after the ambulance arrived, two detectives showed up, wondering when they could speak with the Anglo in question. Rhonda suppressed a smile when they entered. Mueller had been in and out of the ER as long as she could remember. He was a likable guy, though he fancied himself something of a ladies' man.

Mueller's partner until about a year before had been a chubby, middle-aged Czech named Gellner, a sweetly irascible old man and the only officer for whom Rhonda ever had a real soft spot. Gellner had retired, and the new partner, a tall black woman somewhere in her twenties, seemed smart and efficient.

As per his usual, Mueller tried to turn on the charm to get what he wanted. The detective didn't know it, but he remained in Rhonda's good graces in large part because he still skated by on Gellner's charisma.

"Detective, you know how this goes. The doctor decides when you can speak to a patient. I'll let you know the moment of."

Mueller smiled. "Nurse Pierce, we all know who runs this facility. We're just asking maybe to expedite matters."

In her time at the ER, Rhonda had made two interns and one resident cry in public. By merest happenstance, Mueller and Gellner had been present for each incident.

She sighed. "Who'd this guy try to shoot?"

Mueller made a slight motion with head and eyes toward his partner, Detective Thomas, who seemed in her own world.

Rhonda's ire went up. She pointed to the lounge kitty-corner to her station. "Get over there." After reaching into a drawer for her change purse, she followed the pair, fishing for coins for the vending machine as she went. When Mueller looked as if he might protest, she cut him off with a quiet but stern, "Sit."

The coffee from the vending machine in the lounge wasn't the worst. It was hot and strong. She purchased two cups, laying one before Thomas and another before Mueller.

"Thank you both for your service." Bending down, she placed a comforting hand on the neck of Detective Thomas, who still seemed distracted. "Is there anything I can get you, hon?"

The young detective seemed a bit embarrassed that she'd lost focus but quickly recovered. "No, thank you. Thank you for the coffee."

"I'll let you know the moment I find out anything," said Rhonda. "And if I can 'expedite' things, I will. But don't get used to the concierge treatment." She pointed a finger at Mueller. Looking again at Thomas, she said, "If you need anything, come get me or any one of the nurses over at the station."

Rhonda thought the detective might protest, but the young woman merely nodded her understanding, and both detectives smiled as Rhonda went back to her duties. An hour later, she sent the detectives home; it likely would be a day or more before the Anglo regained consciousness.