Chapter Seven

Tommy kissed his girl on the forehead before slipping from the bedroom and closing the door behind him. The previous night had been Rhonda's third night back to work after their long vacation, and it would be a while before her body readjusted to the night shift. He'd put her to bed straight after breakfast, and she was out the second that her head hit the pillow.

His day was just beginning, and there was a lot of work on which to catch up. Fortunately, for him, sleep was optional. That fact was one of many he'd shared about himself with Rhonda during their two weeks alone. He'd talked at length about his quirks and idiosyncrasies, his "Gifts" and his abilities. At first, he hadn't been sure where to start, but finally, over time, he'd told her most of what he thought was important. Even now, little things came to mind that he hadn't shared, things that he ought. Those he marked in a file in his mind for later.

Rhonda may not have thought so, but Tommy felt as if he were on probation. His earlier lack of candor had been a grave misstep. Their happiness meant too much to risk losing it. In fact, Rhonda and he had decided that, at least for the time being, sitting and talking about this new reality would be a regular part of their time together. It was her right to know who and what he was, even if belatedly.

Those thoughts went on the backburner as he sat at his desk and began working on some papers for his business. He'd spent most of the last few nights in the shop upstairs, an effort that had filled his storage freezer to about two-thirds capacity. Another few nights spent in the same fashion would bring orders current.

He was fond of telling people he sold ice cream from a cart for a living—certainly, that type of work kept him occupied four or five days a week, in various locations in the city—but his small business made most of its money through making the product and selling it to retailers. His six signature flavors were popular with several specialty shops in four of the City's five Boroughs.

Today, the books needed to be balanced and the bills paid. That job took about two hours, and then he spent another 45 minutes attempting to cogitate what supplies he would need to order over the next month to keep the doors open. It was the kind of work that didn't come easily to him. (His Gifts didn't extend to running a company.) But he liked doing it. Business for him was a challenge.

At around 10:30 am, he stopped to contemplate whether he should eat, watch a bit of TV, or both. When he was in the grips of that appalling dilemma, there was a knock at the door. The building didn't have a doorman, but there was a key and intercom system on the front entryway. Visitors seldom came directly to the apartment.

Not that there was anything for him to fear from intruders, but Tommy checked the peephole, as usual, and immediately opened the door. Outside stood Detective Camille Thomas. The young woman looked at him as she might a complete stranger, a reaction so common that he thought nothing of it.

"Hello. Detective Thomas, isn't it?" Tommy smiled without attempting to shroud his own surprise at seeing her at his home. "How are you? ... What can I do for you today?"

She stared at him a moment longer without speaking. "Mr. Haas," she began finally, a look in her eyes that was more surprise than recognition, "I umm ...." She stood there like a deer in the headlights.

It was apparent that the detective had something on her mind, but she was more than simply nervous. She was frightened. Tommy moved to manage the situation.

"Detective, I'm sorry. I'm being very rude." He stepped aside to allow her to enter. "Would you like to come in? Can I get you a cup of coffee? Or tea?"

"Thanks," she replied, obviously grateful for having been pulled even momentarily off the spot.

"My girlfriend works the nightshift," he said, leading her through the foyer to the kitchen and dining area. "Feel free to stay as long as you like, but we'll have to keep our voices down. She's asleep in the back."