Sunlight

Dust motes danced in the air, sweeping their partners in and out of golden pools of light. A cool draft wafting in from a window crack swept them away, where they settled on the shoulders of silent worshipers.

She lifted her head slightly and traced the path of a drifting whisp with her eyes. Her neighbour raised a delicate eyebrow, and her eyes quickly snapped back down to her bony knees.

A low murmur of whispered words hung in the air, and the distant hum of afternoon sang pleasantly in her ears. As the sky outside turned orange, the silence in the room thickened in depth, so much that she started to slowly sink away.

Her eyelids closed, and she was enveloped in a tangerine world of quiet. The pew underneath felt slick and glossy under her fingers, and the air crawling around her was as thick and slow as molasses. A breeze tickled her cheek, and she lazily opened one eye.

The world had turned golden.

Ponderingly, she stretched out her hand and felt the dapples of sunlight as they rolled over her knuckles. More sunlight dripped off her fingertips and onto her feet, pooling in the shallow dips between toes. Strands of her hair wove dewdrops of light into intricate knots, soaking brown in amber.

The miniscule particles of dust had slowed their descent; they rode trickles of sun fearlessly into the unknown. She watched as a single, downy feather climbed down from the sky, its parts traced in lemon.

Fragments of bittersweet evening light decorated the hard floor. The coloured glass of the windows were flecked with liquid gold. A ray of sun passed through one, raining specks of apricot- and ivory-coloured light down upon the halcyon observers.

She smiled, relishing the feeling of being bathed in creamy, tangerine light. Both eyes now open, she watched as the last, round bead of sun was swallowed up in the cool colours of night.

The scarlet light of the fading sun slithered over hills and between trees, congealing at a spot just below the horizon. The icy fingers of night were already clawing their way up into the sky, casting black-and-blue shadows over the world.

As the moon slid into place, she finally stood, a pinch of orange sun laced between her fingertips.

A/N: Shoutout to Thesaurus.com; thank you for supplying synonyms for orange, gold, and dewdrop. XD

A_M