Ch. 22: Keep The Hips Close

Start from the beginning

     Max scuffed, as if he'd predicted such a reaction. "A pipe burst in the gym, and I'm driving back to the valley to check it out."

     A pipe burst at this hour? Conner pulled the bed sheets off his lap and prepared to stand. "Alright, let's move."

     Max placed a hand on his shoulder. "Not you, champ. Your fights's tomorrow, and Hector's dropping by this afternoon to go over fight footage with you, so until then, get plenty of rest. I won't be coming back up the mountain, but Hector offered to drive you and your girl back home this afternoon."

     Conner groaned. It wasn't the first time Max labeled Delilah as his, and he and Delilah were tired of correcting him. 

     Max leaned in, but kept his back straight, his manner stringent. "You and Delilah will have the cabin to yourselves, but I want no funny business."

     Conner felt every ounce of blood rush to his neck and face, and he pulled the covers over his lap. "Coach, c'mon now."

     "Do you remember what I told you about a man's sex drive being tied to his fighting ability?"

     Yes, every time you caught me staring. 

     "She's a pretty girl, you're a man, and believe me, son, when the weather's cold, this cabin gets... cozy."

     For the first time, Conner wondered if Max had reason to worry. If he took out his primal energy on Delilah in a way that satisfied them both, who would know? 

     Everyone, if I lose the fight.

     Max studied the ceiling. "Ruben and Nina borrowed this cabin for their honeymoon, and this may have been the room where they made me a grandfather."

     Conner looked at the bedsheets as though they'd never been washed, and kicked them off his body. So much for sleeping in another hour. 

     Max stood, a triumphant grin on his face as he walked to the door. "Keep your hands to yourselves, and put a shirt on before you see her. She likes you, you know?"

     As soon as Max left, Conner dropped his head on the pillow and licked his grin like an enamored teenager, contemplating Max's final words.

***